fudge

are puppies aloud to meet other dogs before their vacs?

Asked by fudge on Apr 3rd 2010 in Vaccinations

Answers

Gidget

I wouldn't advise it unless you know the other dog, and know he has never had parvo and has had it's vaccines. I wouldn't even allow one to sniff around in places that other dogs have walked. The parvo virus lives a long long time, and puppies are very vulnerable to it.

Puppies need to be kept in a familiar area, where there has never been parvo, until after the vaccines. This is the only way to ensure they don't pick up the virus.

Gidget answered on 4/3/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

This site gives a pretty good site about parvo.
There is many other diseases that are airborne also such as kennel cough and distemper.
Both of those are airborne any animal passing by that has it and coughs releases particles in the air which can be inhaled by your dog.
workingdogs.com/parvofaq.htm

The period between 6-12 weeks is a dangerous time. One sniff where a sick dog relieved itself in the last 6 months can bring on parvo or another life threatening disease. Fail to expose it to strangers, including men, women, children, noise, etc. and you could end up with a misfit you can't take out in public. They also need continuing contact with other dogs, but it must be limited to ones you know are getting good care. For safer socialization see www.apdt.com

Isy

A very good and safe route of socialization I always recommend to new puppy owners is to enroll the pup in a good puppy class. All of the pups in the class must be healthy and have had at least their 1st shots to be enrolled. It is a controlled environment with other puppies all around the same age and is a great way to introduce your puppy to other puppies. You and your pup will also learn very important thngs like sit and stay and walking on a leash nicely while your there too!

Isy answered on 4/3/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Honestly... I think people get ridiculously silly with this kind of thing. Puppies were surviving for years and years and years being raised in barns with no vaccines at all, even with things like Parvo running around, and yet somehow dogs didn't go extinct. My father had dogs who lived well into their teens and never met a vet in their lifetime. Not to say that your pup should not get his Parvo shots, just that, if your dog comes within a foot of another dog in the meantime, he's not going to flop over and die. Panicking and picking him up or pulling him away when another dog comes by is a good way to teach him that all dogs are evil, though.

Sometimes I wonder if mother wolves and bears and such keep their babies held in solitary confinement until they get all their shots like we do with puppies... Oh, wait.

Suffice to say, Bear went on a walk around the neighbourhood to meet his doggy friends the day he came home at 8 weeks, and somehow he survived.

I personally would not take that chance. I think a lot of dogs are exposed to dangerous situations and end up fine, but why take that risk?

I've known puppies who did not survive because their owners felt it was worth the risk to take them to the beach ONE TIME before their vaccines or take them to the dog park for socialization the day after their shots.

Honestly, I think once you have a dog, it's your responsibility to keep them as safe as possible.

I do think that socialization is an extremely important thing for young dogs, but it isn't worth exposing them to stuff that can easily kill them. You might be lucky and nothing would happen. But again, bad stuff does happen. Dogs die all the time from exposure to parvo, distemper and other things. And it doesn't have to be dog to dog. Many, many dogs with these diseases end up exposed through dirt or grass. Many owners never know HOW their dog contracted parvo or distemper.

It's just not worth it.