Bailey

Are Labradors Stubborn?

Bailey is quite the stubborn one (it reminds me so much of my cat) and I'm thinking it's the Lab in her.
I'm really determined to have her listen to us and come when we call her, but her being so stubborn is driving me crazy!
I really need help, any suggestions on how to get a stubborn dog to listen is greatly appreciated!
Please help, thanks!

Asked by Bailey on Mar 18th 2011 in Commands

Best Answer

Snoopy

She is just a pup as the other answer said and i do not believe labradors or german shepherds are stubborn (as a breed) but sometimes you can end up with a stubborn dog.

Im working on recall with my dog snoopy as well here are the steps.

Keep her on a leash indoors and say "Bailey come"
Then guide her to you with the leash and give her a lot of praise and a treat.You should be able to touch her collar when she comes to you.Eventually you can take the leash off.

After she is good indoors go outside and do the same thing in an enclosed area and do the same thing you did in the house.Once she gets that down then you can move to outfront and do the same thing but when in doubt keep the leash on.

Dont do this all at once maybe for a few days do on leash in the house then off leash and then once she gets that down you can move on.

You don't want to overload her with training so maybe just do 10-15 minute sessions each day.You really have to be patient and consistent.

GOOD LUCK :)

Snoopy answered on Mar 18th.

Answers

Beau

She's a young pup. Making coming to you when called fun. As she gets older her puppy mind will calm down a bit.

Beau answered on 3/18/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Is she in a training class? I found that ENORMOUSLY helpful in training our puppy, Maggie. Even when you understand training in theory, and have watched other people do it, there are so many little ways to do it wrong that make people either give up on themselves or blame the dog ("she's stubborn" or "she's stupid" usually).

The most common reasons (I think) when a dog doesn't come when called:
1. What you are offering (treats, affections, or nothing at all) is not as good as whatever she is already doing, like playing, sniffing, etc.
2. She has been trained that coming when called is a BAD thing, because she was somehow punished every time for coming to you. (What dogs consider punishment may not be the same thing you do. Being hugged or loved on roughly, being put in her kennel or having to come inside, having to stop playing, all count as punishment.)

Dogs don't automatically come when called. They have to be trained.

I think that for the average dog, 10 or 15 minutes doing the exact same thing, such as training the recall on leash in the house, has got to be extremely boring and the dog begins to tune you out which is interpeted as being stubborn. I raised and trained labs for over 40 years and I found them to be one of the EASIEST dogs to train, especially when a food treat was used as a reward. I always used dry cat food and my labs would do anything for a piece of it, BUT I kept each training session extremely short so the dog didn't get bored. For example, I might just work on recall for 3 minutes twice a day, and maybe once or twice a day I would also work on sits or downs or heeling. Keep it mixed up so they don't get totally sick of what you are doing and turn you off.
The other biggest problem I see as a trainer is when people take off the leash way, way too soon for an outdoor recall. IF the dog doesn't come, they immediately learn you can't do anything about IF there is no leash!

Each dog has his or her own personality, just like people. Some are more independent than others. I'm not an expert, but rewarding good behavior and discouraging bad behavior is a way to get anyone to do something that you want.

For example, people who hit their dogs are setting themselves up for failure. Why would your dog want to come to you when they're likely to be struck? I'm sure you don't strike Bailey, but try really rewarding her when she DOES come when called (GOOD GIRL! <pet, pet, pet, treat> GOOD GIRL, BAILEY! <pet, pet>). If Libby doesn't respond the first time, I change my voice to be much more welcoming so that she'll WANT to come see me because she can tell how happy I'll be to have her close to me and that makes her happy, too.

I'm no professional, but I don't understand the idea of trying to create a dominant-submissive relationship, when a loving and companionship-based relationship is more rewarding for everyone and, in the end you achieve the same results.