Are English pointers good jogging partners?

We are looking for a dog to join us jogging and biking. Our beagle enjoys sniffing so much that he will only run about 5 feet without needing to stop and sniff. That doesn't work out very well. We are thinking about an english pointer, an australian shepherd or a wheaten terrier. Would they maintain a jogging focus or would they need to stop every 5 feet to investigate every smell?

Asked by Member 846943 on Jun 19th 2009 Tagged goodjoggingpartner in Pointer

Best Answer

It really boils down to the individual dog, so maybe looking for an adult rescue is a good idea. That way, you can learn a bit more about that dog's exercise habits, ability and attention span! Also, a dog needs to be fully grown, preferably at least a year and a half of age before you start jogging or running with him due to bone and muscle strain issues.

An English Pointer might be the exact opposite of your beagle's interest in runs....and not in a good way! Pointers are super focused and high energy dogs. They could, if they saw something that they focused on enough, pull you right off your bike.

I'd say the Aussies are the most suited for something like this, but again, it comes down to the individual at the end of the day, even more than the breed.

Good luck looking!

Jack answered on Jun 19th.

Answers

Jessie~ I'm sorry my love

I dont know bout English Pointers, but I know Labs are. It does really depend on the indiviual dog I guess. my Lab is really good cause she's my hunting dog, my running partner, and my best friend

Jessie~ I'm sorry my love answered on 6/19/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I think alot of dog breeds make good jogging partners if they can do it with a health check that is #1. And then they are fed properly, conditioned properly. Find an article to follow on conditioning. The feet are good to watch out for. As the hot pavement and rocks, grit on the road will rip open their pads.
Yes, we have a dog that does that and they should have small breaks to sniff that is natural instinct for a dog. Once they get into your groove they should be ok.

Kayak

I'd go with the pointer. I have two German short haired pointers and they both jog along side very nicely on the leash. Especially my female she is so happy just to be out with me. The male is good but slightly distracted by the birds and I think he may think he's Brad Pitt or something cause other dogs love him. Wheatens are also nice there are two that come play with my crowd on weekends. I am not a fan of Aussies, although smart and excellent herders. They are nippy and aggressive. I used to go to dog parks and every time there was a fight it was always an Aussie who started it.
Good luck and happy jogging.

Kayak answered on 6/20/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Sassy

I would train the beagle to jog with you. If you go slowly you ought be able to combine the two activities. Jog in the street away from smells and then let him have a good sniff for a couple minutes. Repeat making the jog times longer as you go on with the training. If you aren't able to train a Beagle to run without sniffing you would have trouble training a Pointer to run without pointing, a shepherd to run without circling you or a Wheaten to run without dashing after critters. I see several Beagles doing good jobs exercising their humans, they CAN do it. With training.

Sassy answered on 6/20/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer