Ella

Are deer bones OK for dogs

I am re-asking this question because for some reason, I was unable to edit it.
My dad goes deer hunting every year, and he agreed to let me have a bone for my dog if he gets a deer this year. I was just wondering if deer bones were OK for her to chew on, as long as I get rid of it before she manages to eat it? If so, what kind of bone would be safest, body location and gender of the animal? She is starting to lose her baby teeth, if that makes any difference. Should it be raw, cooked, have meat on it? Anything like that. I just want to know if she can have anything besides the meat. Maybe part of an antler, if my dad gets a crooked buck or something? It's hard to find things for her, since she goes through so much.

Asked by Ella on Nov 16th 2012 in Other Food & Nutrition

Answers

Never ever feed cooked bones to a dog, EVER! Cooked bones are very dangerous.

Many raw feeders feed raw deer bones to their dogs. If you're going to feed your dog deer bones, feed them raw. Yes, they can have meat on them.

If you're wanting to learn more about feeding raw deer or raw in general or just want more opinions on this, ask the question in the Dogster Raw Food Diet Forum - www.dogster.com