cutty

are beef chuck short ribs ok to feed my dogs?

the ribs are about 3-4 inches long ansd my boys are 20 pounds and 50 pounds. is there any harm in them eating these?

Asked by cutty on Nov 2nd 2007 in Raw Food

Best Answer

I really wish that people who know absolutely nothing of raw feeding would not respond to questions about raw feeding!

Beef ribs are perfectly safe to feed as part of a raw diet. It's the weight-bearing bones of large animals such as pigs, cows, and goats that you want to stay away from because they are very dense and therefore very hard. Such bones are the neck bones, legs, and spine. Those are known for causing dogs to break their teeth, as well as for splintering and possibly doing internal damage.

Beef ribs do not fall into this category and many people prefer these larger bones because it requires their dogs to slow down while eating, whereas chicken bones are easy to gulp.

Personally, I would give the beef ribs to only the larger of the two dogs. They seem to be more his "size" than that of the little one. For the little one, stick with softer, smaller bones like chicken thigh quarters and turkey necks.

Common myths about raw feeding (lots of info) -
rawfed.com

Abby answered on Nov 3rd.

Answers

Marley

There are no bones, are there? (Sorry if that's a dumb question, I know very little about meat).

General rule to live by is that "people food" should be treats not regular food (some think it should never be given at all) and that dogs should never chew a bone if it can splinter (which rib bones do) or fit entirely in their mouths.

Marley answered on 11/2/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Otis

Real bones are harmful to the dogs body. If you watch them carefully, and don't let them chew it for a long period of time, it may be fine. But, i perfer fake bones at a local pet supply store with bones that would fit the two dogs. I suggest get a 2-3 inch bone for the 20 pound dog and maybe a 4-5 inch long bone for the 50 pound one, a bone too big could be dangerous and too small could cause them to choke. Small bites of boneless meat could be used as a treat, but would be better off raw. I feed my 20lb dog raw meat medallions, that you thaw out, not cook and he loves it! Hope this helps.

Otis answered on 11/2/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Vance CGC

Personally, I wouldn't feed them. Beef rib bones are pretty much always too hard to consume. They're a good way to crack a tooth, and when they're only 3-4 inches long you can choke on them.

If they're boneless, then yes, they'd be wonderful to feed.

For cheap, easy to eat raw meaty bones I usually go for poultry. Turkey thighs and necks are the favorites around here. I avoid anything from a pet store, since they're cooked and can splinter.

Vance CGC answered on 11/2/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 4 Report this answer