Jax

Are Australian shepherds protective

My aussie mix is 7 months and won't let anyone come around him unless its my son or I. We love with my parents but he still won't let them approach him after a month in a half. If they do approach him he runs away but with me he lays on me and is the biggest baby.I was hoping he would be protective. Will he become protective as he gets older?

Asked by Jax on Dec 24th 2012 in Australian Shepherd

Answers

The Aussies that come to the daycare that I work at are very territorial towards openings like doors and fences and will bite ankles of all other dogs acting too rambunxious or wild. They seem like the mediator. There is one in particular who likes to stand around me and my coworker and "protect" us from the "naughty" dogs. He typically barks when aggitated to begin with and then followed by some biting if provoked.
Not saying this is for most Aussies but this is what I've seen in the past and present.

Barney, friend of Lennox

One of the attributes of the breed is "wariness" of strangers. When I used to do AKC conformation shows, and friends and I would "practice" the Aussies were always a bit more wary of the "judge" going over them but I was told to expect that. You need to work on socializing your dog and give the dog chances to "build confidence..." take him out to do fun positive stuff with his family to help him overcome his hesitancy and wariness with new things.

Barney, friend of Lennox answered on 12/25/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Vinnie

I would also agree with the last answer. Previously I have had a Rottweiler and a German Shepherd also...

I do believe that if any dog behaves in this manor,it tends to be down to socialization, best thing to get your dog used to others is allow others to stroke or/and be around the dog, that way, the dog will become more comfortable around certain surroundings.

Vinnie answered on 12/27/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer