Are Australian Cattle Dogs the same thing as Blue and Red Heelers?

Ok, so I think most of us have heard of the new dog breed game and most have also played it, either for zealies or for fun. Hopefully people are still coming to answer questions.

Anyhow, I have been playing the dog breed game (expert) and I have been noticing what I thought was ACDs under (sometimes) as Blue Heeler or Red Heeler. I thought Blue and Red Heelers were the exact same thing as ACDs just that was a nickname for them.

Over the summer I got into an arguement with someone who said Blue Heelers were not the same thing as ACDs. I say they are. I read a book saying they are, but after playing the dog breed game it has made me doubt myself.

So are they the same breed or are they all seperate breeds. If so what are the differences?

I'm just curious.

Asked by Member 393929 on Dec 16th 2008 Tagged australiancattledogs, acd, blueheeler, redheeler, breeds, difference in Australian Cattle Dog

Best Answer

Zack

Some people only call the dogs Australian Cattle Dogs if their lineage can be traced back to Australia, otherwise they are referred to as Heelers. But I'm pretty sure they are all the same thing. Sometimes they are also called Queensland Heelers.

Zack answered on Dec 16th.

Answers

Miss Buddie

You're right. Buddie's a heeler mix. She was from a litter of seven. Six blue and one red.

Miss Buddie answered on 12/16/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Australian Cattle Dogs, Queensland Heelers, Red Heelers, Blue Heelers, are all the same breed. Like you, I believe that is the correct answer. Australian Cattle Dog is just the official breed name.
Let me know, if this is wrong.

Jubilee (I miss you so much)

I have three Queensland Heelers, yes they are the same. Red Heeler, Blue Heeler are just different types of colors. If you ever see 'Australian Stumpy Tail Cattle Dog' ( think that's it.. oops..hehe) that means of course it has a short tail, for herding.

Jubilee (I miss you so much) answered on 12/16/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer