mei

are all pit-bulls mean

Asked by mei on Feb 17th 2008 in Breeds N-R

Best Answer

No dog is mean just because of his breed.

Hardly any dogs are born aggressive. The vast majority are made that way, either intentionally or untentionally.

We hardly ever see the pit bull portrayed as happy, well socialized and friendly in the media because that just doesn't sell. What we see are negative images and extreme stories.

This, to me, is nothing short of a tragedy. The millions of bully breed dogs who are born and euthanized is tragic. And, it is shameful.

People abuse these dogs and use them for fighting or street cred. And many well-meaning owners have simply no idea what ANY dog needs to be well adjusted, happy and socalized.

What really burns me up is how a small dog barking or baring its teeth is "funny" or "cute" while a perfectly mannered, happy pit bull is seen as "menacing" when it hasn't done anything at all.

The best weapon against this injustice is education. Not just the truth about pits, but also how to take care of dogs in general.

Jack answered on Feb 17th.

Answers

Marlowe, CGC

Pit bulls (a group of dogs that includes a number of breeds) are actually classic "family dogs". For decades (and you can see this in advertisements and movies from the 40s that depict pits in this way), the American Pit Bull Terrier was seen as the ultimate American family dog, great with children, loyal, happy, and friendly. Sort of how we now think of labs.

Pit bulls are terriers, and all the terrier breeds have tendencies towards tenaciousness, a "never say die" attitude. Terriers need this attitude to do the work they were bred for, which is hunting vermin, or catching and holding large animals such as hogs or bulls. Some very unsavory people began to use these dogs in dog fighting because of their strength and tenacious attitude, and a greater tendency towards aggression to other dogs (NOT humans) was bred in to the breed by some.

Any dog can turn aggressive if abused and raised wrong, and unfortunately a lot people who do that seem to want pit bulls anymore. It's a shame.

Marlowe, CGC answered on 2/17/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Ellie

I think it really depends on the owner and how they are treated.
I think they may have that instinct but I think that it can be stopped and they can be very loving dogs.

Ellie answered on 2/17/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Sadie

I agree with Marlowe. Often pits are big playful goofs.

As the owner that walks her girl miles and miles daily, I know from passing people what they think as their dogs pull them along. My dog, walks on a lose leash next to my side and I have to worry about their dog coming at my dog. (so we pull off and wait often). Pits don't fight to fight unless they are made to do that, or they are scared, but pits are efficient fighters and often can win. This is why ignorant people abuse the privilage of owning them.

Sadie answered on 2/17/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Haus R.I.P. my boy I miss you

Hey Sadie,nice to have you back!Well put Marlowe and Sadie. As you can see by my boys profiles they are really mean NOT!!!
Take a peek a t the info I have on their profile and see what you think after that.
Hope you change your mind.
Licks and wags
Tha Boys

Haus R.I.P. my boy I miss you answered on 2/17/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

NO! Most of the "mean" ones were raised or trained wrong. Some people think that to train a guard-dog that you should slap it around and be as mean a possible to it so it will attack robbers. WRONG, WRONG, WRONG!!! If you train a watchdog that way, it will think that all people will be that way. The result? The dog ends up attacking and/or killing somebody. Now I'll give you an example of being raised wrong. Some dogs are naturally nervous. If you don't teach them to control their fears, they may attack out of fear. This is called fear-aggression. The dog feels threatened and tries to protect itself. There is also a VERY RARE type of aggression that is like a seizure. The dog can't control himself, and attacks everything and everyone in his path. Then they will act is if nothing ever happened. This is most common in the Spaniel and Terrier breeds. Lastly, ALL dogs have the ability to attack people, not just Pit Bulls. Not just German Shepherds. Punish the DEED, not the BREED!!!!!!

Lady

NOt that I'm an authority on the subject but it is a common misconception that the "problems" with Pit Bulls stem from genetics and the breed itself. I think nothing could be farther from the truth. Every dog is different, has an individual personality. Pit Bulls get more press when they are "bad" than other breeds. But, in both cases you can almost surely find out that it was the handler and the dogs training or lack of that is to blame for his poor behavior. A great example are the Michael Vick dogs. Out of the 50-60 or so dogs that were found alive and taken in by rescue all but ONE was considered rehab-able and therefore good to adopt out. Some of the most fought dogs, the ones with terrible scars, were among the sweetest in temperament. Like others have said here, historically they have been great family pets. I agree that a person who owns a Pit Bull should take special consideration and care to train and control his/her dog if for no other reason they get poor press. unwarranted

Lady answered on 2/17/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Curtis

NO! Pit Bulls are not mean! It all depends on how you raise them. My Curtis is absolutley amazing, the best dog I've ever had. I have a Pit Bull and a Yorkie.. and my Yorkie would bite you before my Pit Bull would, and she often does. Please don't assume that they are just because of stereotype. They are turly amazing dogs.

Curtis answered on 2/17/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

go take a look in my profile if you get a chance. i live with a beagle and 2 cats. im a real good,friendly pit and don't have a mean bone in my body. but dont think im a whimp because i will protect my family if i had to.

Gracie Mae (In Loving Memory)

No. Any dog who's treated badly or badly trained can be aggressive. Pits, Rotties, etc., because of their size and body type, are capable of inflicting a lot of damage when they do attack but they aren't any more prone to it than a chihuahua or anything else. Dogs respond to their environment. Unfortunately too many people own Pits for all the wrong reasons which complicates the issue.

Honestly, I've met more mean little dogs than big dogs.

Gracie Mae (In Loving Memory) answered on 2/18/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

TERROR

I have had 2 pit bulls in my life and they were by far the sweetest dogs that I have ever been around. So loving. They have the best attitude, all they ever wanted to do was please me. So i guess if I wanted them to be I could train them to be mean. They are like any other breed. You could get a lab or golden retreiver and it could be the nastiest dog in the world. Does that make them all mean? The only thing is that pit bulls come with this horrible stereotype. Actually if you research pit bulls they actually genetically are horrible guard dogs. Mine love everybody. Strangers will get just as many kisses as a family member could. It is all in how you train your dog. Lots of hugs and kisses and i am sure it would be a great family dog.

TERROR answered on 2/20/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer