Any suggestions on how to walk an over friendly Newfie? She wants to say 'Hi' to everyone.

I have a 3 year old female Newfie who is impossible to walk. She literally drags me towards other dogs. The thing is, she just wants to play! She isn't aggressive at all. We used to go on 2 long walks per day and I even started running with her, but it just got worse. She is very socialized with other animals and people. If we don't see other dogs on our walk, she is an angel. Please help, I miss walking her but just am not strong enough to hold her back.

Asked by Member 1175406 on Jun 14th 2013 in Exercise

Answers

I have a rule with dogs: I do not walk them if I cannot control them. If you are holding tight and she lunges, you are going to go FLYING and hurt yourself. Large breeds NEED EXTRA training. You can take a class or hire someone to help you. Every time she does something right, reward her with a treat. Ultra dog cookies in pumpkin are healthy and a crowd-pleaser. Work with her every day; if she is not listening then she should not be rewarded for that. ^_^