Bailey

Any recommendations for good dog beds for giant breeds?

We are looking for a good dog bed for Bailey that we can use when she is full grown too. She is already about 3 feet long in just her body, any recommendations? I can't get her one of the beds from PetSmart that has cedar and filling, she likes to eat sticks and would rip her bed apart.

Asked by Bailey on Dec 23rd 2008 Tagged beds, giantbreed in Beds

Answers

Zackintosh CJ

I heard in a dog magazine that you can get an old chair, like the one she is sitting on, or find one on the side of the road, and recover it and take the legs off and it makes a great dog bed!
I've seen some pretty giant dog beds at Costco I think that are fairly cheap. They have ones shaped like a couch, that she might be less likely to chew on.

Zackintosh CJ answered on 12/23/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I have never had a giant breed dog, but some of my friends with larger German Shepherds have been using children's / baby mattresses as dog beds, and those have worked out very well.

Stormy

Ruffwear makes an awesome bed! I just bought one for my 85lb Rhodesian Ridgeback for Xmas and my boss has em for her Newfoundlands!!

"Plush, layered polyfill batting makes dogs want to sleep in.

Removable, machine-washable cover with comfortable microsuede sleeping surface

PVC-free waterproof polycloth base and sidewalls

Move bed from room to room with side-mounted handle"

www.ruffwear.com

I know its a bit spendy but if you can afford to upkeep a Dane, you may be able to afford this bed! lol

Stormy answered on 12/23/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

For a crate pad, google Primo Pads, they are fabulous!!!
For a bed...Get a crib mattress:) You can get one used or new, and buy the fitted sheet to put on it so it can be washed and everything! I know several mastiff owners that have these!

Bam-Bam, CGC answered on 12/24/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Chad

I would start with Walmart, before you go too crazy looking. I have also seen really large beds in BJ Whole sale club.The problem is most dogs will ripp up their beds. But you can get them fairly cheap at Walmart. My Schnauzer gets a new like one a year. Coleman also makes a great air bed for dogs.

Chad answered on 12/24/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Jet

I got Jet a bed from Doctors Foster and Smith. Visit their website at www.drsfosterandsmith.com. They even show you how to measure beds! We got a bed for Jet, and it is massive! I'm able to sit on it with him it is so big! They have beds specifically for large breeds. Their packing peanuts are also eco-friendly. If you have any questions, paw mail me! Hope this helps!

Jet answered on 12/27/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

SOMEONE ELSE SUGGESTED A WEBSITE CALLED DOGCHEAPSLEEPS.COM. THEY ARE GETTING READY TO LAUNCH FOAM FILLED, VINYL COVERED (WATERPROOF) BEDS OF ALL SIZES, THE OWNER OF THE SITE BREEDS AND SHOWS GREAT DANES. THEIR PRICES ARE GREAT, PRODUCTS ARE AMERICAN MADE. THEY ALSO SELL THE VINYL COVER, WITH VELCO CLOSURE, SEPARATELY FOR DOGS WHO JUST CAN'T GIVE UP THEIR TATTERED, HEART THROB PAD OR BED. RECOVER IT, IT'LL LOOK BRAND NEW.

Sounds like you need an extra-large chew resistant dog bed. You'll have to decide which is more important: comfort or durability. There are some good options that provide both, but as comfort increases, the "chewability" goes up as well.

Check out the following resource, which has reviews of chew resistant dog bed options: www.organic

We went with the Big Shrimpy option and love it... it's been over a year and is still going strong!

Hope that helps!

Jeff

K9 Ballistics has a huge extremely durable bed. They largest I've found anywhere...68"x40". Great stuff