Samuel

Any light-weight, gentle collars?

My dog has very, very sensitive skin and any collar we get for him rubs the fur off of his neck, makes him break out in rashes that turn into nasty scabs. I don't know what kind of collar to get him that won't cause this reaction. Does anyone have any suggestion or places maybe online I should look?

EDIT: I have been keeping the collar off of him and use a harness for walks. I feel insecure about leaving him without a collar, he is a new rescue and still doesn't know not to bolt out the front door.

Asked by Samuel on Jun 27th 2010 in Collars & Leashes

Answers

Momma's Girls

Hi there! I dont know about any hypoallergenic collars but a family member of ours has a chihuahua who would just chew or weasel out of any collar you put on her so they only put the collar on her for walks and when she's home she doesnt wear a collar. This way your dog would only have to wear collar for short times which hopefully wouldnt be enough to cause a rash or redness. Also have you tried a harness? Maybe that would work for you because it's not tight around the neck.
Good luck and keep us posted!

Momma's Girls answered on 6/27/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Vivace

Vivace has the same problem. After a few different attempts at finding a collar that didn't cause this we finally got her a ComforFlex one. It is suppose to work like a martingale but I have found that it isn't as harsh as most of them. She cannot slip out of the collar if she tires to pull out of it. We have had it for a few weeks now and had no issues at all. Her neck even has healed with no new problems. Even when she is wet it didn't rub like the others. She wore it all last weekend dock diving and once again no new sores.
It is also washable so if it gets grungy looking all you have to do is toss it in the washer and it comes nice and clean!

www.bloomingtailsdogboutique.com

Vivace answered on 6/28/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I use a New Earth soy collar on Valentine because of her sensitive skin. It's very soft and pliable and strong enough for everyday use. I also have some silk collars lined with satin for occasional use - they're also very soft and strong, but they're pricier.

www.dog.com

www.2houndsdesign.com

there are many harnesses even padded ones for sale in petstores or online.
type in padded harness in your search on the computer.
A dog should not break out like this on his neck. My thought on this is the collar is keeping in the moisture and heat of his body and he already has some kind of problem that is pre existing on his skin. I would suggest that you have the vet scrap this area and examine it under a microscope to see if he has a staph infection or yeast ect on his skin. This problem could be very fixable in the end and he could wear a collar instead. There is training to make him sit before the door and to not go forward that could help his impulse thinking on bolting.
good luck. :)

One of my dogs has no hair on the front of her neck from mange and a slight thyroid problem so we bought her a padded collar. Regular collars would scratch her neck and leave red marks and rashes. My boy had a bald spot from collars rubbing his fur off and the padded collar seems to help prevent that, his bald spot looks smaller.

you can search for a padded collar on this site: www.morrco.com
Petco and Petsmart sells a similar collar made by Petmate.

Miley

I would also suggest typing padded collar into a google search (or whatever search engine you prefer.) It may help. Once your new pup is trained not to bolt leaving the collar off is fine inside. If you prefer the harness for walking then also look for padded harnesses. I hope that you find something that works for you and him. Good luck and keep us posted.

Miley answered on 2/22/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Ok, this isn't exactly something that would qualify as hypoallergenic.....but hear me out:

I had the same problem with a dog in the past, and discovered that if you make sure to purchase a collar with an O-ring.....you will not have that problem. Even the leather collars with the O-ring work great. They soften quickly and form to your dog, but with the O-ring they fit comfortably.
What it is, is that the collar is two pieces connected with an O-ring. It allows for movement and comfort without rubbing their skin. Generally, the local feed store will carry these in leather and they are inexpensive. If you'll rub them down with mink oil and allow it to dry, it will soften much quicker. I usually just have to do it once and then let it dry in the sun and it's good to go.

Chewy

checkout www.chewyandfriends.com...if you dont see anything that is available, they custom make collars according to you needs. They will find the best and most comfortable fabric or material for your dog.

Chewy answered on 9/28/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Cotton or hemp ribbon collars would be a suggestion as the fiber is breathable and great for dogs with sensitive skin. Since putting a cotton collar on my dog, no more skin rashes for my Nicia.

See niciadog.com for cute cotton ribbon collars.