Prince

Any advice would be wonderful!

Prince has been through beginner training at Petsmart, but he still doesn't like young children. Any suggestions on helping him get more comfortable?

Asked by Prince on Nov 13th 2013 in Dogs & Kids

Answers

Sonny

As with anything a dog is afraid of, he must have many positive experiences to change his mind.

If every child he meets is noisy, jumpy all hands, gets in his face or tries to pick him up, his opinion of kids will not change.

Beginner training at Petsmart is hardly going to do anything for an issue that is beyond basic obedience.

If he is around children that are calm and pay no attention to him he will probably begin to trust them. In the mean time - NEVER force him to interact with kids. If he bites, and he might, he pays the price for it.

Sonny answered on 11/13/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I would agree. Chihuahuas can be very nippy, and you don't need to be sued because some kid grabs onto his tail. How is he doing with other dogs? I would continue with the next set of classes until he is obeying on command. Then, see if you can bring him to a friend's house with dogs and kids for a play date. There is a website datemypet.com where you can arrange playdates for your dog, and you can see if the people have children to have them around (but not interact with) your dog. When he sees them as little people instead of grabbing mini-humans, that's when he'll be relaxed enough to gain interest. When he behaves well around kids, treat him so he knows that his positive attitude is worth rewarding! (teenie greenies are great for that) ^_^

NA'vi

Chi's are among several Breeds which don't get along with small children.

Take a look...
www.dogbreedinfo.com

It's very likely that if you continue to push this animal into difficult situations for it, you'll be sorry.

NA'vi answered on 11/14/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Tyler

I'd recommend seeking the help of a behaviourist maybe if it's something you wish to work on. Training classes are not going to fix the issue as it's a behavioural issue, rather then a training issue.

However, as long as he's not trying to bite/show aggression of any kind, it might well be that he's just not fond of children and that's not necessarily a bad thing. My own dog is not particularly comfortable around children, but as we don't see or come into contact with many children it's never an issue. Different of course if you have children who live at home or regularly visit. If that's the case ALWAYS supervise Prince with the children, as you should any dog/kid interactions, but even more so with a nervous dog.

Tyler answered on 11/15/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Sandy

I have an Italian greyhound and he was very scared of kids when I got him. He would growl and tuck his tail under. I would get kids to give him his favorite treats, but at first I would just have them drop the treats on the floor. Sandy became more comfortable as he was exposed to more kids. I babysit so he sees them at least once a week. Now he will lay in their laps and sleep. But when be was scared I always kept him on leash or in a crate if I was out of the room. I think just being in the room with the kids, while he was in the crate, made him get use to them as well.

Sandy answered on 11/15/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Take him to another training class, preferably an experienced trainer who is local.

Obedience training and socialization is what your dog needs.