Kiya

AmStaff vs. Pit Bull

What is the difference? Really. I hear they're the same, different, kinda the same. Each resource says something different. I think they're two different breeds, just very closely related.

Asked by Kiya on Mar 19th 2008 in American Staffordshire Terrier

Best Answer

I looked up these two in this huge breed history bible I have.

They all started from the same group of terriers, so there are definitely some similarities.

At one point in the 1930s, the UK Kennel club changed the breed name of their registered Pit Bull Terriers to Staffordshire Terriers.

In the 1970s, the American Kennel Club started calling the Staffies American Staffordshire Terriers, though they are still just called Stafforshire Terriers in the UK.

The size is the main characteristic, with the Staffies being about 3 inches shorter and 7-10 lbs less than the Pits, according to the average AKC standards for the males. Personally, I think the Staffies usually have slimmer faces, as well.

Interestingly, this book (published in 2006) says that to this day, the Staffies' and Pits' breed title can be interchanged when registered with the AKC and UKC under certain cirucmstances. So, I guess they are still recognized as being quite similar.

Hope that helps!

Jack answered on Mar 19th.

Answers

Koby

First, no such thing as a pit bull. There is the American Pit Bull Terrier, which can be registered by the UKC. This is the same breed as the AmStaff, basically, and an AKC AmStaff can be registered as an APBT by the UKC, but not vice versa.

Koby answered on 3/19/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer