Alby Daniel Burgess

Am I part Great Dane? What am I??

My puppy, Alby, is about 17 weeks old and a beagle mix according to the Humane Society. We have had him since October 4th and in that time he has gone from 12.3lbs to 24.3 lbs and grown about 5-7" in height. Just today he lost his 2nd incisor (that we have found) and all together that's two incisors and one molar. (This extra info is in case someone determines he's older/younger than we expect).

We often receive, "Look at those paws!", "Dalmatian mix?", "Hound mix?", and "Wow, is that a puppy? He's gonna grow into those!" Just a few days ago we went into Petco where an employee stopped us and asked us if we knew anything about him. We, of course, said no. She then went on, with 100% certainty, about how he was definitely part great dane somewhere. She said it was in his paws, tail, and body shape. She also said the only way he could have gotten his spots was from a dalmatian or a dane.

My question to you guys is, about how big do you think he'll get and what the heck is he? Thanks!

Asked by Alby Daniel Burgess on Nov 14th 2013 Tagged dane, greatdanedalmatian, puppy, mixedbreed, rescue, englishpointer, hound, labrador in Mixed Breeds

Answers

Jaydens Rowena, SD-c, PAT, CGC

Those spots are called "Ticking". Many breeds have ticking. German shorthaired pointers, Beagles, Australian Cattle dogs, Australian Shepherds, border collies, Basset Hounds... the list is long. Your dog looks like she could be part Dane... his ears, his coat pattern I believe is called "Mantle" in Dane speak. I see that he is still 25- 50 pounds after a year, but maybe you haven't updated his profile. Who knows? Maybe someone crossed a Beagle and a Dane? Stranger crosses have occured. Whatever the case, you have yourself a handsome dog! I hope the past year has been good to you all! Let me know!

Jaydens Rowena, SD-c, PAT, CGC answered 2 weeks, 4 days ago. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer