Gia

Am I feeding my dog properly?

I love my dog and want the best for her, my veternarian says she has the best teeth and health in a Chihuahua he's ever seen, and I was planning on sticking with her diet becuase she loves it, it keeps her healthy, and its inexpensive. I feed her Ceaser, and Dog Chow. I personally love this diet, and so does my dog and vet. But someone told me that the diet I am feeding is wrong.. should I listen?

Asked by Gia on Jul 11th 2011 Tagged healthy, diet, food, ceaser, dogchow in Pet Food

Answers

Lilly

yea that food is actually pretty bad...and your vet was probably paid by the manufacturer to say its good. Most vets have contracts with one manufacturer or another that gets them loads of money for reccomending that particular food.
Generally your vet is the last person you want to ask about food lol.
Chihuahuapeople is a great forum dedicated to chis and the people there are super helpful in figuring stuff like this out.
There are several great sites dedicated specifically to food. Some of them have listing of how the different foods rate. dogfoodadvisor, dogfoodproject, and dogfoodanalysis are all pretty reputable.

That stated, I feed my chihuahuas Blue Buffalo Small Breed Adult and I'm extremely happy with it. They've done better on it than any other food I've tried. Its holistic and doesn't have any of the stuff in it that isn't good for dogs like Corn, wheat, soy,or by prodcuts

Lilly answered on 7/11/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

It won't kill your dog to keep her on her current food, but I'd suggest at least learning some about what you were told.
Give this a read for starters: www.dogster.com
The general idea among those who diss brands like Dog Chow is that most of the existing studies on canine nutrition cited by veterinarians were conducted by the leading pet food companies, so they are going to be at least a little biased. (Not to mention finding one that actually compares corn-based chow to meat-based chow with dogs is hard to do. Granted most of the existing studies are not freely viewable by the general public.) As well as that your average general practitioner vet really knows very little about nutrition in the first place.

And if you think about it, should a carnivore like a dog really be getting the bulk of his nutrition from corn? Sure, most dogs seem to do a-okay on corn-based food. They're flexible animals. But that doesn't mean that it's best for them.
I certainly have noticed improvements in my dogs' health since switching them to a meat-based diet.

I'd recommend that you look into it anyway.

It would be like you getting at Mcdonalds all the time. It is not the best food , but I guess if you are happy with it, it is your choice. But one thing to thing about, It cost about the same to feed better quality food because it takes less to fill them up. So it would cost about the same in the long run, plus the benifits of a healthy food could help your dog also in the long run. It may be worth a look sometime just to see if the dog likes something else and just give it a try. You can always go back to what you are feeding now if it does not work.

I recommend switching to a high quality dog food. Cesar and Dog Chow are not good dog food brands, they're filled with unnamed meats (animal digest, animal fat, meat and bone meal, poultry by-product meal, fish meal, poultry fat, digest, etc), by-products, corn, soy, wheat, propylene glycol, menadione, added colors, artificial flavorings/colors, brewers rice, rice, phosphoric acid, BHA, BHT, etc. Stay away from these foods!

I recommend feeding Orijen, Acana, The Honest Kitchen, Sojos, Solid Gold Barking at the Moon, Solid Gold Sun Dancer, Primal Pet Foods or Red Dog Blue Kat.

What's REALLY in pet food? www.bornfreeusa.org

I highly recommend you to switch your dog food to a better dog food.