Am I entitled to a Refund?

Hello

Wondering if I could get some advice.

After deciding to get a dog, researching the type of breed we wanted with the right temperment etc. myself and partner decided on a lovely akita 10 months old which we picked up 2 days ago.

Well for past 2 days I have been rather poorly to say the least and it apprears that I am allergic to our new friend, it is badly affecting my breathing so I have desided that we have to give him back to breeder so this reason.

My question is that the breeder has made no mention of us getting our money back, what is usual practice in these conditions?

Thank you for any advice, I would like to be knowledgeable on this prior to seeing them again.

Thanks
Debbie

Asked by Member 1136993 on Oct 22nd 2012 Tagged refund in Other Laws & Legislation

Answers

Did you sign a contract? I would think you should get a refund.

Without a contract outlining replacement/refund policies, you are not entitled to anything. I would hope you did insist on a written contract from this breeder...especially since, as you said, you researched first.
Most reputable breeders have a clause where a full refund is issued for ANY problem within the first 10 days or two weeks which would cover a case like this. Over the years as a breeder, I have actually refunded the complete purchase price for two different people who had serious allergy issues develop from their new puppy. Both puppies were returned to me within the first week after the original sale, but it was in the written contract, gone over and signed by the new owners as well as myself and we both had a copy of that contract.
Good luck.