Airedales, Poodles, Bearded Collies or Labs. Don't know which to pick. Please help us with some insight.

My wife and I would like to become 1st time dog/puppy owners this spring. Here's what we're looking for:

- Large Breed
- Low Shedding
- Hypo-allergenic
- Will get along with my friends' Golden Retriever and Labs
- Likes to wrestle, fetch, and play tug-of-war
- Will be OK with a small house/small yard or large apartment (may be in either in the spring)
- Will be protective, but not unpredictably aggressive
- Will be adaptable to a changing brood/family. We will likely start having kids in the coming year or two.
- A dog that doesn't typically get separation anxiety

I've been researching for about 6 months now, and still can't decide. Every time I lean Airedale, I read something about them not being great with kids or easily getting seperation anxiety. Poodles seem nice, but are really pricey. Bearded's seem to shed too much, and Labs shed and have allergens that might be an issure for me. Any advice is appreciated.

Asked by Member 1145773 on Dec 18th 2012 Tagged breedchoice, adoption in Breeds

Answers

Holly

I actually recommend you have a look at the English Pointer.
If you have the time to excercise it i think it would be perfect.
Have a look at this

www.burkesbackyard.com.au

Hope we helped
India and Holly xx

Holly answered on 12/18/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I recommend the Standard Poodle for you. It meets your list of needs nicely. Labs will NOT do well without a suitable yard & tons of exercise. 'Dales are harder dogs who really need an experienced owner..and a definite job to do.
Poodles may be expensive, but if you are going through a good breeder, you have a better shot at getting a great fit for you.
Contact your local breed clubs & see of you can meet breeders of all your picks & see what they have to say.

Divide your purchase price by the average life span, about 12 - 14 years...pretty inexpensive investment!
I raised and showed both poodles and Labradors and my poodle puppies were sold for the exact same price as my labs. Doesn't really matter the breed, a good pup from well bred, health tested parents will average around $1200 -1500, in those breeds you listed.
You can find any dog for less, but do not buy ANY DOG unless you have proof in hand of passing scores in all pre breeding health testing on BOTH parents. It is not worth the heartache when that cheaper puppy falls victim to crippling hip dysplasia, hereditary blindness, or the like. You can find the testing necessary for each breed by a search on the AKC.org site.
Of the breeds you listed, I also agree a well bred standard poodle seems to fit your criteria the best.

Davy

Out of your 4 choices I would go with the Bearded Collie, with the poodle comming in at a close 2nd.

Have you talked to any owners of Beardies? From the ones I've met they don't shed anywhere near as much as your average dog.

You may also want to talk to poodle owners as well. The reason why I put poodles 2nd is because of their temperment. As a whole they do have a genreraly biddable additude; but it seems to be a bit all over the place. Some are great and tolerate anything, others are nice but turn into anxious freaks when their owners leave, and others are just plain mean to anyone who tries to touch them. Alot of it is how they are raised, but it's not always easy to predicte how they will behave from one poodle to another.

Davy answered on 12/18/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Out of those four, I think the poodle would be best suited to your needs. Follow Toto's advice about the health checks/certifications. Putting up the money now it will save you a bunch of heartache and possibly more in vet bills in the long run. Make sure you read up on positive training methods to help your pup be the best he can be. I recommend Before and After you get your Puppy by Ian Dunbar. Socialize the pup(especially with kids, men and strangers) and make sure you also train it to be ok being alone as well (crate training helps)

Bailey

There are exceptions to every breed- Just because you get a lab, for instance, doesn't mean it'll be great with kids or not have separation anxiety. A big portion of their personalities rest on how you raise, train and socialize them.

If you see changing lifestyles happening in your future and might possibly not have a yard I would probably get a small breed dog, as it won't be fair to a large breed who needs consistent exercise to be cooped up all day- which would result in destructive/undesirable behavior which is a huge reason why so many people surrender their dogs to shelters- however having said that you need to make sure you teach your future children how to interact with small dogs so not to injure them.

No dog is 100% hypoallergenic, but among the ones that are considered so- Havanese are generally good with kids and friendly with strangers. I personally think Cavalier King Charles Spaniels are the ultimate kid/family dog and they shed minimally (althought they do shed)

Bailey answered on 12/20/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer