Shiver Me Timbers

Agility Injuries

I've been searching all over the internet and can't find much beyond pulled muscles and sprains.

How common are injuries in agility dogs? I'm starting my Beagle in agility and I'd like to be better prepared and know what the possibilities are.

I know that even professionals have gotten injured dogs before and so the information from anybody with the knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

Asked by Shiver Me Timbers "Charlie" on Dec 9th 2009 in Agility & Sports

Answers

I'm a beginner in the about truest sense of the word when it comes to Agility right now, but I do know that dogs who are trained properly are less likely to get injured. (For just one example, certain obstacles have "contact zones" which, when the dog is trained to always touch this contact zone, keep the dog from jumping off too soon and thereby avoid a possible injury.)
If you haven't already, I suggest you check out the book, "The Beginner's Guide to Agility" by Laurie Leach. It helps to point you in the right direction and gives advice on what kind of trainer to look for.

Quincy- FM TFE-II TDIAOV CGC

Just like with human athletes the better shape the dog is before agility, the less likely it is that he'll have inuries. If your dog isn't getting a pretty decent amount of excercise now, you may want to work on getting his muscles a little more toned up. In the summer I bike with my dog to help that out (no more than a mile, and not on really hot weather/pavement). In the winter, since we live in Michigan, that's not an option, so I take him hiking in the snow (which is a considerable workout). Also, a good way to prevent injury is to properly stretch and warm up the dog before and after a run/practice. Injuries can still happen, but this has helped us prevent any so far. Enjoy agility, it's a blast!

Quincy- FM TFE-II TDIAOV CGC answered on 12/10/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

they are common.
good practices for me has been to stretch my dog there is an online diagram somewhere.

And I feed more protein in the training season and maybe for some dogs adding some glusomine, know I misspelled that one.

After exercises at home rubbing and more stretching is not bad idea

Work your dog slowly on baby stuff then in each week add more baby stuff til you get up to par. Slow and little work helps ease the dog into condition.

The most crucial thing I forgot , sorry is to make sure the dog is healthy and has no orthopedic problems in his/hers joints and bones. good luck
I don't do agility but my dog has to jump jumps and walls.
have fun!