After seeing some fireworks, my dog has become scared of going for walks, which he used to love. Help!

I took my dog out for a walk late on the 4th of July. As soon as we stepped out of the front door of our building, some neighbors set of a volley of fireworks that terrified him. I tried to act like there was nothing to be afraid of and continued with our walk. Normally he stops and sniffs all the time, but this time he just tugged against the leash and moved as fast as he could away from the fireworks. Eventually I had to call my wife to come pick us up, because he wouldn't stop moving.

Since then, it's been very difficult to get him to go for walks. He knows the way out of the building, and as soon as he realizes we're going out front, he lies down and refuses to move. I've tried coaxing him with treats and I've even carried him outside. Sometimes, once we're outside, he's fine. Lately, though, he's started lying down outside and refusing to budge. My wife has better luck with him, but not by much, and getting him to walk around the block has become an hour-long ordeal. Everything I

Asked by Member 1127646 on Aug 26th 2012 Tagged fireworks, anxiety, fear, walking in Fears & Phobias