after my dog pooped in the backyard i saw bugs in his stool. I always go out with him & immediately pick up his poop .

I go out with him in the backyard (which is in great condition) & pick up his poop everyday. yesterday there were bugs in his stool after he pooped.
What causes this? Should I be concerned?
He is up to date on vaccinations and deworming. I treat my backyard with sevin dust (monthly) and another pesticide for ticks, fleas, etc. My dog is an indoor (majority of the time during hot weather) and outdoor (during cool weather) pet. He is a labador 1 year old/male.

Asked by Member 849404 on Jun 26th 2009 Tagged bugsinmylabadorsstoolblackbugswithlegs in Health & Wellness

Answers

What kind of bugs? Were they worms or flies? Even though your dog is updated on deworming, doesn't mean he is immune to getting them. If he ever had worms before, there is a possibility that he still has them. Take a sample of the poop to your vet so they can analyze it and tell you exactly what it is.

Miss Buddie

I agree with Chloe. Any kind of change in feces means a trip to the vet. It's an easy check and an easy fix.

Miss Buddie answered on 6/26/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

These bugs could easily be external but it's hard to tell for sure. If this were my dog, I"d check his next bowel movement throroughly and if I saw any evidence of bugs, I'd take a stool sample to the vet right away.

I know that sometimes if my dog goes in the backyard, bugs can appear on the feces within seconds. These are usually small flying bugs, it's had to tell from what you describe what you're really seeing in the dog's stool.

So, err on the side of caution and check the next stool carefully. If you see anything, it's vet time.

yep, I have that here.
I call them poop bugs. You must have a green yard like mine, they are great for recycling poo:)