Stevey

After I drink water,I cough, water doesn't come out, i just cough for like 30 seconds. Is this normal?

I drink a sip of water, and then i start coughing for about 30 seconds. I have been doing this for many months now.
Is this normal? What can i do to fix it?

Asked by Stevey on Dec 20th 2008 Tagged water, coughing, seconds, normal in Other Food & Nutrition

Answers

Some dogs can cough after drinking too fast or if the water is too cold but you say even a sip causes her to cough.
The only other thing I can think of is tracheal collapse found in some toy and miniature dog breeds. One of the symptoms is coughing when drinking water. Typically after the dog drinks water they will cough a few times then have a gagging or retching at the end. Some say if you rub her throat she may cough, but I have never tried that myself.
You should take your fur baby to the vet to rule this out and get her treatment if indeed she has this.
Good luck to you.