After effects of Parvo

I adopted a puppy from the SPCA in late January. He had been in contact with Parvo and I had to take him to the SPCA clinic approximately 5 days after adoption. He stayed at the clinic 10 days on IV and many other medications. He seems to be doing O.K. but his stools are still extremely runny. Can this be from the virus and if so what can I do to help? Also, are there other complications that I might encounter from this nasty disease.

Asked by Member 635863 on May 22nd 2008 Tagged parvo, afteraffects, complications in Health & Wellness

Answers

Sadly, there are often long term effects of parvo infection. Runny stools can be from a number of things, but if they have never been normal since the parvo infection, he could still have some gastroinstestinal upset.
Keep in mind that January was only six months ago, so the chances that he can make a full recovery without any lingering symptoms is good, and over time you should see some improvement, if only slight at first.

Adding plain white rice to your puppy's food is a great way to help sop up extra stomach acid and also bind together the food in the digestive tract. Some dogs get rice with every meal, for life. It is perfectly safe and agrees with most dogs, but check with your vet first if you have any doubts or worries.

Liver and kidney damage can result as long term effects of parvo, but that varies from dog to dog. A sensitive tummy is the most common long term effect, I believe.

In a few months, try a complete physical with blood panels to check for any problems.

HAYLEE

WE ALSO HAVE A SURVIVOR OF PARVO....WE HAVE BEEN TOLD THAT THE LONG TERM AFFECTS OF PARVO CAN BE NUMEROUS. WE HAVE UPSET TUMMY ALOT...WITH VOMITING AND RUNNY POO'S. MOST OF THE TIME POO IS NORMAL.
THE IMMUNE SYSTEM TAKES THE HARDEST DAMAGE...
IMMUNE SYSTEM WILL BE LOW, MEANING EASILY TO GET SICK, AND ONCE SICK (EVEN WITH THE SMALLEST THING) HARD TO GET RID OF ILLNESS. WE LIVE IN THE DESERT, AND BABY HAYLEE HAS HAD MANY COLD VIRUSES, SINCE THE PARVO.
ALSO WE JUST HAD A BOUT OF DEMDEX MITES.. ITS A HAIR FOLLICLE MITE, WHICH PASSES FROM THE MOTHER TO PUPS IN THE FIRST FEW DAYS OF LIFE. FROM WHAT I HAVE BEEN TOLD AND READ, IS THAT ALL DOGS HAVE THESE MITES IN THE FOLLICLES, BUT THEIR IMMUNE SYSTEM IS STRONG AND ABLE TO CONTROL THEM.. MINE WASN'T STRONG.. AND NOW IM DEALING WITH THIS. I SNEEZE ALOT, IV'E HAD A FEW YEAST INFECTIONS IN MY EARS, AND WHENEVER I GET MY SHOTS..I GET SICK, SO WHEN IT COMES TIME FOR SHOTS, IT TAKES A MONTH FOR THE SERIES, WITH 1 SHOT A WEEK.TAKE VITAMINS

HAYLEE answered on 5/23/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer