Accidental inbreeding, what are the dangers?

I have 2 lhasa apsos, Father and Daughter, I didn't want them to breed and kept them separated but they did anyway, I was told it is dangerous and that I should have her given a shot so she wont have her dads puppys, but I'm seriously worried about giving her that shot, I would rather not, but I wish to know if it is really that dangerous or not?

Asked by Member 1086887 on Jan 24th 2012 in Breeds G-M

Answers

The real danger of letting her breed with her father... is letting her breed at all! Breeding dogs is a serious undertaking, and even if you do everything right can still harm or even kill your female. The chances of dangerous side effects from abortion drugs are much lower than the chances of harm from having puppies.

It's kind of like when people refuse to fly, and instead opt to drive long-distance for fear of a plane crash. Really they're much more likely to have a car accident. You're focusing on the wrong risk here.

What I think would be best, is to do a spay/abort now, so this can't happen again in the future. If you never intended to breed her, it's the most expedient way to deal with an unwanted pregnancy.

Starbutt

ok don't worry this is not so bad if a once in a life time, take a deep breath.
I am not a fan of this sort of breeding but this is what some breeders call IN LINE BREEDING they breed mother to son or father to daughter and the pups are fine. It is if it is brother sister I would have concern on. If that was then I would have the female go to the vet a remove the pups there is a chance slim to none that you would not have any deformed pups but I wouldn't chance it. I had two rabbits brother and sister and they bred she had 4 that were fine but one in each litter had a wee one I killed the male and got another male and didn't have any more wee ones. So I know for a fact it is brother and sister. On the father to daughter/mother to son it is from a breeder that has told me.

Rhayden

Don't fret they will be ok and after get one or the other fixed.

Starbutt answered on 1/25/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Kazba

I have known people that have planed a breeding of father and daughter. The problems that could come up is that if the dogs line was for example has heart problems. Then the chances of the puppies having heart problems will be double.

Kazba answered on 1/26/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer