Daisy

About how much should a beagle weigh?

Daisy weighs about 36 pounds(we have a bad scale) We have heard a very varied range of how much a beagle should weigh. About how many pounds do you think would be right for Daisy?

Asked by Daisy on Sep 20th 2007 Tagged weight, fat, bunny, randomtags, happy, questionmark in Health & Wellness

Best Answer

Seamus Smiff

It really depends on how tall Daisy is. When we got my beagle he weighed 20lbs and was way too skinny. But he is a tall beagle (16 inches). If I had to give my own dog a number based on his weight fluctuation since I've had him, I'd say 25lbs was best. For the shorter variety I don't know what is ideal. I think that the rib test that the second respondent suggested is a great idea, those are the sorts of posters that I see at the vet's office.

Seamus Smiff answered on Sep 20th.

Answers

Radio Baracus

It depends on what type of beagle she is...is she a mixed breed? our beagle weighs about 35 pounds but he is mixed with something....
how old is daisy?

Radio Baracus answered on 9/20/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Gio

Trying to apply a specific ideal number for the weight of a dog is a nearly impossible task. Even within breeds, there will be variation in the ideal weight of individuals. For one dog, 35lb may be idea, but a different dog could be quite obese at 35lb.

A more reliable way to judge weight for your dog is to do the rib test. Feel her rib cage. You should be able to easily feel the individual ribs without much fat covering over top. If you are unable to easily feel the ribs, then she may need to lose a few pounds. On the other hand, if you can easily see the ribs, then she may be too thin. A good guide is to feel the back of your hand ... assuming you have an "average" hand, you will be able to feel the individual bones. That is about how the ribs should feel on your dog.

Gio answered on 9/20/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

$ Ryder $

Beagles are ment to be about 15-20lb. so Daisy should loose about, 16lb.

$ Ryder $ answered on 9/20/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Around 40-50 pounds should be good! If you aren't sure, you can always ask your vet!