a dog came on my property...in fear for my cats i shot to scare the dog...i first tried to yell and chase the dog away with not response ..not meaning to i hurt the dog more than i wanted to....after a vet surgury and bill ....who is responsible....me or the dog owner.....it wouldnt of done any good to call law enforcement in my area because it takes them forever to respond....so i took matters into my own hands

Asked by Member 1114682 on Jun 8th 2012 in Animal Control

Answers

Wesley

I don't think that's an answer any of us can give you. That has to be between you and the dog owner and if worse comes to worse, possibly the courts. Your relationship with the dog owner will dictate a lot of that. I would suggest trying to work it out with them.

Wesley answered on 6/8/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

You need to talk to a lawyer. Is there a leash law in your area? If so & the dog was not leashed, then you may not be liable. If you live in a rural area, many areas allow for shooting a dog if it is bothering livestock. In a more populated area you may have violated laws concerning discharging of firearms.
Look up your laws online, & talk to a lawyer.
I will reserve comment on shooting a dog who is chasing a cat.

Stumpy

it dose not madder. it is not the dog owners fault his dog got out. Not to be mean, but it is your fault. you shot the dog, even thought you did not mean to hurt it, you still did. you caused trauma. I would apologize to the family, and pay half of the vet bill, maybe more. if your cats got scared by the dog, that is normal. you should have put your cats in, and not tried to scare it because scared dogs may attack, thinking it is for defense . The dog was harmless and most likely terrified. next time, if you cant scare away the dog by being loud, take in your cats. A dog should not be shot until the very last resort, if it is hurting your cats, not just sniffing, if you see fangs, or blood, shoot the dog. just leave the dog alone and try to get your cats in if you are scared. cats and dogs are normal enemies. If the dog has no fangs shown or lips bared, it is just wondering.

Stumpy answered on 6/9/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

The dog owner is responsible. It's the law to keep your dog under control at ALL times. This dog was simply not under control and was running at large.

The dog was on your property, if the dog is on your property you can shoot IF the dog is appearing as a threat which he was since you were fearing for your cats.

However, let me ask you this. Were your cats outside, running loose? If so, it would be both you and the dog owner's fault.