Roxy

a bark collar! please give me info!

well roxy has been driving us all nuts with her contesnt barking. we hate to do this but we may get a bark collar. before we just go out and buy one we need more info. like good brands and how exactly they work and IF they work. what a good price is. if you know any thing please leave a comment. all i know is the dog barks it gets a small shock and should stop barking after a few shocks....i hate the collars but we get to many complains and she drives us nuts...
so please give us info!

Asked by Roxy on Jan 9th 2010 in Collars & Leashes

Answers

Cyan

I would start by consulting a trainer. Shock collars a cruel and most dogs eventually learn to ignore them. You are better off finding the source of her barking and correcting it then abusing your dog in the name of a quick fix.

Cyan answered on 1/9/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

before you use it on your dog use it on yourself...around your neck & see if you like it! Acknowledge what the dog is barking at, then calmy say enough. Treat. Reward being quiet. Cross the room , say good quiet & treat. The dog learns not barking means quiet & treat. Yelling when they bark is like barking back at them...does no good. This takes quite a bit of time, but can be done without a bark collar. Please consult a trainer before you use it to make sure you are using it right (if u do buy one). It did nothing for my neighbour's dog, btw, other than make it bark & yelp!

I had a bark collar for my dog, it made him quit barking. There are 5 different options to do.

Get a bark collar.

Train your dog.

There is some kind of vest for a dog, it is some kind of wrap for a dog, that goes over there body, and it makes them quit barking. There is no shocking, spraying, or anything like that. It just calms your dog down, so he/she can not bark.

Get a spray collar.

Get there tissue taken out of there neck (they have a whisper bark, and I THINK it last for about 2-3 years.)

I would recommend the wrap, or you train your dog.

I still think training is the best option.

The collar may work, but at what cost? It will hurt her and if she is at all fearful, it can really send her over the edge and cause a waterfall of other problems. Also, even if it does work, it's sort of treating the symptom rather than overall problem.

Now, I realize that the barking is bad and that you get complaints so you do have to do *something*, but the training is where the solution is, in my opinion. If you don't have a trainer, find a good one who specializes in positive reinforcement and have a session with them. It may only take one or two sessions to get the guidelines down so it's not a huge financial commitment and they can often show you things you could never have imagined on your own since you're too close to the situation to see it all, big-picture style.

If you must use a shock collar, try a citronella spray collar first. Premier makes one and it's about $65-75 plus refills of the citronella.

Most bark collars work short-term but you'll find the dog may eventually bark over the collar and/or as soon as the collar comes off/batteries die/whatever that they will go back to doing exactly what they were before the collar. Proper exercise, mental stimulation, and training are more permanent.

Ellie

Hello, my name is Laura and I work at PetSafe where we manufacture a whole line of safe, humane, and effective bark control solutions ranging from ultrasonic (where the dog hears the high pitch noise), spray (gets sprayed in front of the nose), or static correction.

As a side note, before I started working here, we adopted our dog Ellie and she barked A LOT, and I shared a similar strong aversion to static. However after trying many solutions, I got a remote trainer for her and it has been very effective. I did try it on myself first and although startling, it isn't painful. We let her bark at strangers, but have trained her to the phrase "that's enough." It only took one or two corrections before she understood what "that's enough" meant.

We have great remote training and bark control products. If you would like more information on our products, static and non-static, feel free to contact me on here, visit our website at w

Ellie answered on 1/26/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Eeyore

luv ur dog's name!!! same as my pup's name

we have tried using those kind of collars on eeyore and they were not a sucess. my eeyore will keep on barking and she wouldnt stop even it shock her and it hurts. i think you should try using a spray bottle instead, like when she barks, just spray her. i think this might work, i know how you feel about your roxy, since we have the same experience here with eeyore and she still does that. if spray bottle doesnt work, try to talk to a trainer about it.

Eeyore answered on 4/19/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

You don't need to shock your dog to use a bark collar! That is a gross misconception. I found the citronella collar VERY effective for my dog. It works wonders as long as you follow the instructions for how to introduce it to your dog. Now, he never barks. He might give a small whine when another dog walks by the house, but that's about it. You use the collar for a few weeks (a few hours at a time, or overnight), for maybe a month or so, and then we hardly use the collar anymore. Once in a while, we use it if we are taking him on a trip and he'll be hearing noises/animals at night that he's not used to, but that's about it. I think the one we bought was by Premier. I can't recommend it highly enough!!! I wish my neighbors used one for their dog.