What size crate should I get for a chihuahua?

I will be living in an apartment, and I want a large crate for him while I'm at school. I want a bigger one so that he has more freedom, but I don't want the holes so big that he could get his head stuck. I won't crate him for long, just until I get him house trained, and whenever I'm home he'll be let out.

Also, for car travel, what size plastic crate is appropriate? He'll have the front seat all to himself, though I'll probably put him on the floor so he doesn't slide off.

Asked by Member 1123637 on Aug 1st 2012 Tagged crate, travel in Carriers, Crates & Kennels

Answers

The crate should be big enough for him to stand in and turn around in comfortably. You could slide the seat belt through the handle when you travel with him in the crate.

Carter

reason being for the crate to be big enough to where he can turn around comfortably is so he cant go on the other side of the cage when he had done something bad on the other end. Considering chihuahuas are difficult to potty train because they are smaller dogs and you can really follow them every where.He would probably leave you surprises if you bought a bigger cage, or he would chew stuff up.

Carter answered on 8/1/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Bianca

For home: If you're only planning to use the crate until he is trained, get a small one (large enough for him to stand up, turn around, lie down comfortably). A larger one may make house training more difficult because then he has a free end to use as a bathroom. Unless you want to train him on puppy pads or a litter box, and keep that in the crate as well. Otherwise, use a small crate until you are confident in the house training, then get a big one for more freedom and space.

For travel, a smaller one like I mentioned above is the right size. However, I would not put him in the front seat, especially not if you have passenger airbags. I would put him in the back seat and securely tether the crate so it doesn't slide around. They do also make "car seats" for small breed dogs, I don't know how safe or secure they are but you might look into those as well.

Bianca answered on 8/2/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I would get him a medium sized crate. He should have a crate that's large enough for him to stand up and move around in.