Training a deaf and visually impaired dog

Saturday I adopted a beautiful one year old catahoula leopard dog. I knew she was completely deaf and had a slight vision problem.

Getting her home the vision problem seems to be worse then what I was told. I know she can see up close but Her eyes constantly shift and scan so I'm not sure how far she can see.

After receiving her, she is a sweet, quiet, loving girl with no training at all. She can't walk on a leash, sit, or take treats properly.

Hand signals is what I was prepared for which is all eye contact but I can't seem to get her to focus not even with treats or touching.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

Asked by Member 1142346 on Nov 26th 2012 in Behavior & Training

Answers

Give her some time!!!! Two days is no where near long enough for her to get used to the uncertainty of a new home and a new owner...most likely her eyes are constantly scanning as she is looking for something familiar.
The first few weeks are all about her getting used to her new life and her new people. Let HER make the moves to you, and treat her for attention. Give her a MINIMUM of two weeks before any formal training, then use what works... at that point, with a good, calm foundation of trust between you and her you may find your hand signals will work. If not, try treats. I have had good sucess with a vibrating collar or a small flashlight to gain attention with a deaf dog, but as soon as he knew his environment, he naturally checked back with me constantly when we were outside. You may find she will do the same.
But, first of all... give her MORE time to get used to her new environment!

Charlie Brown Cocoa Puffs

start with the nose. thats a dogs main sent. get her to start useing her nose more and adapt her training to that

Charlie Brown Cocoa Puffs answered on 11/26/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Toto is right, give your new dog sometime to adjust in the environment. I am sure she will be able to learn everything efficiently as soon as she adapts to the new surroundings :)