How can get a dominant elkhound puppy to back off of the chihuahua?

I have a very dominant, 5 month old elkhound/german shepherd mix. my girlfriend has a runt toy chihuahua. my dog will just not leve the poor thing alone. we have to seperate the two of them. my dog does not nip, he is not aggressive. rather, he stands over the chihuahua and stays in his face as soon as he touches the floor. it is very important the i correct this behavior while my dog is still young. this is something i have never dealt with before. Does anyone have any experience with something like this? If so, what worked for you?

Asked by Member 1211136 on Jan 25th 2014 in Other Behavior & Training

Answers

Pineapple Smushface

Fill a spray bottle with 2/3 water and 1/3 white vinegar. When your dog does this, spray him in the face. He will not like it and will associate his bullying of the wawa with the bottle. Vinegar is natural and will not hurt the dog, but dogs and cats don't like the smell (plus it's used in cooking so it's safe). You may even have some in the fridge already at home! ^_^

Pineapple Smushface answered on 3/20/14. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer