9 week old puppy is very aggressive after an unsuccessful "Alpha Roll"

My 9 wk old puppy is being VERY aggressive after I did the alpha roll(don't ever do this).First couple times I did it, he submitted almost immediately but the last time I had to hold him longer and he struggled more. He had no signs of aggression before this, he was playing a bit too rough at times and the "Alpha Roll" worked on puppies in the past. The next day he was a completely different pup. Nipping, growling and chewing on my pants and shoes VERY AGGRESSIVELY. When he bites,I tell him "no" and give him a toy to chew or I try the "timeout" by saying "no bite" and walking to the next room and closing the door behind me for about 20 sec. That seems to work for a couple min. then starts biting again. Now it's to the point where my pup is beginning to resent me. He hardly responds to the basic commands we've been working on and were making such great progress before this. PLZ HELP!

Asked by Member 1132505 on Sep 25th 2012 Tagged aggressive, aggression, alpharoll, bite, biting, chewing, attacking, attack in Aggression

Answers

Golden

Sorry, but dogs are family, scavenging and human-adapted creatures, not pack animals. Typically, whether you are dealing with a wild animal, a tame one, or a person, aggression only begets aggression. Simple as that. Alpha roles are like yelling at a child to tell you they love you. Dogs and even wolves do NOT 'alpha roll', submissive dogs do it on their own in a display of 'I'm harmless'.

You played rough with him, and taught him he can play rougher with you. Work on keeping the energy of play down. Put treats in down-turned cups and do not use your hands to wrestle. If his teeth touch you at all, play stops, IMMEDIATELY... for about 20 seconds. Don't yell, just yelp or make a disrupting squeak to startle him (can even say 'no bite' calmly) and stand, turning away, toy and all.

If before 20 seconds he is biting your jeans or barking, ignore him until his energy goes down and then turn around with a smile saying 'let's play'. Don't repeat the words in succession, only once.

Golden answered on 9/25/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Yeah, that's why I don't like the "alpha roll"--there are plenty of other methods you can use that don't make the dog feel like he has to defend himself.

As for the rest--HE'S. A. PUPPY. The behavior your describing sounds normal for a puppy. Not acceptable, but normal. Puppies bite; it's part of how they play. Ever seen two dogs playing? Sometimes it can look--and SOUND--strikingly similar to a fight.

Have you ever tried yelping when he bites? I'd recommend trying that.
Other than that, it sounds like you're doing the right thing. I'd probably ignore him for longer, though. Say, at least a few minutes. The game should end for the time being once teeth make contact with skin.
The key is repetition--you've got to keep it up.

My Fizzly ( In loving Memory )

ok at 9 weeks he shouldn't be doing this ! I have had Rottie's and GSD & other danger breeds.
Giving him toys/chews your rewarding bad behaviour
my main tip of controlling aggression in puppies is the holding a puppy by the scruff on it's neck ?? Take a large scruff and literally hold the puppy ( if it squeaks it's not hurt just P*****d off !) Hold him until you feel his entire body go limp ? it works in 2 ways it brings them back to when its mother would do it and it also sends out a chemical in the brain that calms him ?
Then let him continue to play or what he was doing before he started his temper tantrum but in a better frame of mind.
Some breeds make a lot of noise when they are playing, this can look like aggression but biting at 9 weeks is a warning so nip this behaviour quickly before he can really hurt you!Growling at a puppy also stops bad behaviour? when a mother is telling off it's puppy it will growl/bite So a smack on his butt when he really hurts you is needed Good Luck

My Fizzly ( In loving Memory ) answered on 10/12/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer