Dinky

8 Month old Chihuahua with an upset stomach

My 8 month old male chihuahua has been getting an upset stomach about once a week. He used to get an upset stomach 2 or 3 times a week (almost like clockwork on Sunday and Tuesday). I talked to my vet about it a couple months ago. He didn't know what was causing it, but thought it might be some ingredient in the food he was eating. The vet changed him to Lamb and Rice Science Diet. Like I said, it has improved, but he's still getting an upset stomach, mostly in the afternoon now. He used to still play and act fine when his stomach was upset before I switched his food. Now he seems tired, and likes to sleep when his stomach is acting up. Then he throws up and acts better. Most of the time he throws up mucus or foamy stuff. Is there anything I can do for him? I am going to mention it to the vet when I take him in to get fixed on Thursday. My vet also did mention that it might take some time to get Dinky on the right food so his stomach is better. Thank you!

Asked by Dinky on Nov 3rd 2008 Tagged upsetstomach, chihuahua, sick in Illness & Disease

Answers

Science diet is a food that vets recommend, but it's got an awful lot of fillers in it that can upset a dog's tummy.

I struggled with Jack throughout his puppyhood with a sensitive tummy. Some dogs are just like that. Remember, puppies are like babies; very delicate tummies.

Most puppies with symptoms like this outgrow them, but some remain into adulthood.

The mucous or foamy stuff is bile. And that indicates he doesn't have enough in his tummy. He may have a wee bit of acid reflux.

What worked for Jack was when I gave him a small amount of kibble right before bedtime and at equal intervals throughout the day in addition to his regular food. Keeping something in his tummy at all times for him to digest basically solved his upset tummy.

I'd also highly recommend Wellness brand puppy food, but remember any changes need to be done gradually over a week or so to avoid further gastric upset.

my chihuahua had same problem few months back vet said was acid reflux put
on pepcid worked she find now but could have flare up again was told to use pepcid as
needed my chis 7lbs take 1/4 of a 10mg pill once a day but would talk to your vet first my chis just turned 1 year