Saban

7mth old Sharpei had eyes tacked & did great.Now lower lids are rolled in & he's miserable. Vet wants to do entropion su

My 7mth old Sharpei had eyes tacked & did great. Sutures removed & upper lids have done nicely. Now lower lids have turned in completely and he is miserable! Vet says only thing to do is Entropion surgery asap! That scares me for him & my checkbook BUT I've read some say wait til they are 1yr old & some say go ahead! HELP? Vet wants to do this in the morning!!! Thanks!

Asked by Saban on Jan 13th 2014 in The Dogster Website

Answers

Toto, CD, RN, CGC

Ectropion surgery definitely is worth waiting for maturity, but to the best of my knowledge, entropion can only get worse since as the head grows it stretches the already tight lids and causes them to curl inward even more.
The safest answer is for you to get an appointment with a veterinary ophthalmologist for their opinion. Won't cost that much more and they are experts at doing the surgery should it be advised.
I hope your breeder is helping with the costs of these surgeries... this IS an inherited issue with this breed and a responsible breeder will stand behind their dogs and do the right thing for you.

Toto, CD, RN, CGC answered on 1/13/14. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 3 Report this answer

Pineapple Smushface

I agree, but some breeders will say that they will take the dog back, and you don't want to give up your dog. Getting a vet opthamologist second opinion is a great idea. If there isn't one in your area, call your breed club and find a reputable one sooner than later. You might want to buy a pet insurance package to help offset the expenses with this expensive breed. I have a peke and I'm watching her eyes every day. Vetericyn drops are good to help make the eyes feel better each day, just one drop in each, unless your vet prescribed a different drop (the one I mentioned is available otc from vet suppliers). ^_^

Pineapple Smushface answered on 1/13/14. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Shasta

Toto and Ms. Pineapple answered perfectly. I'll third them: you really need to contact that breeder! Shar Peis are prone to problems with anything skin-and-wrinkle related, so that breeder must have been careless to let such a horrible problem slip through to an adopter...

See if they'll help pay for the vet bills...

I'm terribly sorry your little puppy has to go through this! I hope everything turns out okay.

Best wishes!

Shasta answered on 1/13/14. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer