Lincoln

6 year old female boxer with sores that won't go away

My friend has a boxer who until now has been in good health. In December 2013 she had what they thought was an anal gland infection and went to the vet, was diagnosed with a urinary tract infection and given antibiotics. Her genitalia was red and inflamed.

After taking the antibiotics for about 2 weeks she began to emit a foul odor and the redness on her genitalia spread over her belly and down her back legs. She went back to the vet and was diagnosed with dermatitis, given more antibiotics and a sulfur-based topical treatment. In the meantime her owner has been giving her daily baths with tea-tree oil based dog shampoo to help with the infection and the odor and applying pure aloe to the cracked skin, but nothing is helping.

The irritation has spread. She now has cracked red skin with sores and scabs on her belly, back legs, feet, and muzzle. She is lethargic and losing weight. She has been to 3 vets, most recent diagnosis was allergy to antibiotics. HELP!!

Asked by Lincoln on Apr 3rd 2014 Tagged boxer, antibiotics in Skin Problems

Answers

I would stop with the antibiotics/meds and the tea tree baths. Instead put organic virgin coconut oil on her body and give her a little tsp to eat as well. It will kill all the infections and heal it all up. What food is she on? Has it been changed recently? How about any new treats? Try to keep her hydrated and fed with something she will eat.

Just a thought, did they check her for Mange? I agree with Obi's line of questioning. Have you changed her food and/or treats? Post your question in the health forum in this site. There are more people to answer your question and can answer back and forth. We can only answer once here.

Stop using antibiotics and follow what the vet has adviced.

She certainly seems allergic to something! Poor girl, she must be so uncomfortable. I'm assuming they've scraped her skin to check for bacterial or fungal infection. I'd take her off whatever food you're feeding and give her bland food. I would stop with the tea tree oil, since it seems not to be helping, and I would also schedule an allergy test.

I had a dog with foul smelling lesions and it turned out to be allergies. I would stop the anitbiotics and add a little yogurt with live bacteria to the food. All the antibiotics probably killed the good bacteria and needs to be built up again.