6 year old dog suddenly popping in house (while I'm here) with no reasonable explanation.

My six year old dog (possible rhodesian mix) has been perfectly housebroken for years. He is a lazy indoor dog, crate trained, and has never shown any separation anxiety. Two months ago we moved from a house with a yard into an apartment, but he didn't show any stress behaviors. He's been fine this whole time, doesn't tear anything up, bark, or get into anything. He poops outside at least twice a day and his feeding schedule has not changed. He has a large empty room to run and play in when he is inside.
But suddenly in the past two weeks he has pooped in the living room three times. The past two times, someone was here.. right in the next room, and he did not "ask" to be let out. In fact he came to get my attention after he had done it.
The poop is normal and solid. Without any other behavioral or physiological indicators or a problem, I can't understand this.. what is going on?

Asked by Member 1177897 on Jul 1st 2013 in House Soiling

Answers

Take him to a vet to make sure nothing is wrong with him. More than likely, now that he's in a new place, he thinks he doesn't have to go outside anymore, OR he's doing it on purpose because he's unhappy. Either way, you have to train him AGAIN. Just like when he was a puppy... with praise, treats and walks. This is a big dog to stay in a small space all day, so buy some toys to keep him active and slather him with positive attention when he goes outside. ^_^