3 yr old staffy possibly swallowed small nail two days ago. SHOULD I RUN HER TO XRAY JUST GOT BACK IN TOWN AND FOUND OUT
NO VOMITING, NO LOSS OF APPETITE, WILL TAKE TEMPERATURE WHILE WAITING FOR ANSWER
on Jun 4th 2009
in Swallowing Foreign Objects
- Cast your vote for which answer you think is best!
I'd definitely recommend having the vet X-ray her, yes. The best of wishes to you.
Cookies 'n' Creme (1998-2011) answered on 6/4/09. Helpful? / 0
Yes I think you need to talk to the vet. I would leave it to the vet to decide if a X-Ray was the best place to start or what should be done. I like to explain what I know and then let the vet decide what to do.
Aster answered on 6/4/09. Helpful? / 0
2 days ago? I would be checking the poop that has been deposited and then call the vet if you cannot find it. It could have passed already!
Sassy answered on 6/4/09. Helpful? / 1
well... sunny a couple of months ago found a glass candle lid (were he got it I've NO idea) anyway he broke it and cut is month real bad. we were unsure if he had swallowed glass or not so we rushed him to the vet. Guess what he gave sunny? cotton balls... I guess they rap around the sharp object and protect his/her insides. He told sunny do have like 30 but he's a pretty large dog so.... Be sure that you get COTTON balls...not the "cosmetic puffs" that are
made from man-made fibers. you can like soak them in chicken broth or such (my dog ate them as treats) hope this works!
Sunny answered on 6/4/09. Helpful? / 0
It's possible it's still in there, so you need to go to the vet. On Thanksgiving a well-meaning guest gave Bam-Bam a huge hunk of hambone. That was Thursday... I didnt' know anything until Saturday and he vomited. Vomiting isn't normally cause to take him to the vet, but I just felt like something wasn't right.
So yeah... Go to the vet!
Bam-Bam, CGC answered on 6/4/09. Helpful? / 0
Speaking as a Vet Tech I would say if it just happened watch for signs of the regular eating and drinking and potty behavior.Any changes you should make an appointment. A smalll nail may pass on it's own.You can bulk up food to help pass by adding rice and boiled hamburger to the dogs diet.
Best of Luck! I know how these Staffs can be!! Bars of soap, batteries, cell phones, nails they love it all if they are not suppose to have it!!
Clay R.I.P. my handsome boy!! answered on 6/4/09. Helpful? / 0