3 week old Siberian Husky puppy having seizures

There was 5 in the litter. He was dewormed with drontal puppy 2 days ago and started to have seizures and foaming at the mouth last night. I took him to the vet they did blood work and still can't figure out why this is happening. I've asked everyone in my Siberian husky club and no onehas experienced this. The vet wanted me to put him down but I'm still trying him on meds. Has anyone experienced this before?
Also parents are AKC show champions and have all their health testings done and I bred only for the fact to improve the breed. Thank you and any help would be appreciated. It was just one puppy experiencing this the others are fine

Asked by Member 886542 on Jan 12th 2013 in Health & Safety

Answers

We had this happen to a pup in our shelter years ago, also after worming.
Our vet said that rarely, roundworms can be in the brain and die from the worming, causing the seizures. These pups did have a huge amount of worms.
This pup got worse and was ultimately euthanized.

Sasha

Some dogs are allergic to dewormers. Why did the vet say to put him down?? is it consumed with worms that it can't be saved? Was it coughing up worms or are they in his feces? Did the vet put him on seizure meds? How long did the seizure last? Both my dogs have a history of seizures so if it stopped w/n afew minutes, there's really nothing to worry about unless the pup can't survive the worms and the vet believes no amount of meds will cure him. Seizures alone won't kill a dog unless there's a serious brain disease as the cause. If the pup hasn't seized since last night, get a different vet for the dog's sake.

Sasha answered on 1/13/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer