3 month old collie still totally wet and dirty in the house. Gets taken out as suggested and even every 10 mins Help?

We got the puppy at 7 weeks and used a crate. it gets taken out the moment it wakes up, after each meal, after excercise or play, and at least every hour and several times during the night. the crate is in a pen in the hall with a bed, water, toys etc and an area on the other side with paper. A lot of the pee goes on the paper, but some goes in other places although we clean it instantly up. Even after if has done a pee or poo or both outside, within 10 minutes of it being in it goes again. We are now taking it out every 20 minutes and still it goes inside. it seems to make no difference to the puppy where it goes. The puppy gives no signal that it wants to go. Even if i stand next to the puppy I get surprised with it going right next to me. It gets lots of praise each time it performs outside. All other training goes really well: it sits, comes, goes down and stays on command, retrieves a toy etc. Totally at a loss and getting very frustrated. it are no accidents but constant wetting.

Asked by Member 1131685 on Sep 20th 2012 Tagged potty, peeing, toilet, accidents in House Soiling

Answers

Dogs generally don't have good potty control until they are between 4 and 6 months old. With the constant wetting, have you had a vet check him/her out? I don't mean to be rude, but you call the dog an "it". Are you the one responsible for him/her? If not, is the person responsible consistent with taking the pup out? Some dogs are difficult to train. You have to be very patient and consistent.
Put her in a crate and take her out every 1/2 hour until she goes. If she goes, then she just earned about an hour of freedom. If she doesn't go, then she goes back in the crate. Take her out in about another 1/2 hour. Repeat the process. You should also limit her access to the entire house. She needs to earn it. This takes a lot of patience, time and commitment. But if you stick with it, in most cases it works. After a while, she will give you a cue that she has to go out. It may be very subtle like a whine, standing near the door, or even just staring at you. Good Luck with her.

I think I understand you to say that you also have paper down for the dog??? If so, this can be a problem in that you are expecting her to go outside, except, some of the time you want her to go inside, which is extremely confusing for any dog, especially for a young puppy still in the beginning of training. Imagine how that must be for the dog...I can go inside here but not over here???
And, again hard to understand from your post, but when using the crate she needs to be closed into the crate...the theory being that she will not soil her sleeping area.
At all other times when not in the crate I would suggest you tether the dog right to you so that you can immediately tell when she needs to go outside and take her out right then... if she is allowed freedom to wander thru the house, she will chose to go whenever rather than learn to control her bowels and bladder.
Again, three months is still a baby, I do not expect my dogs to be housebroken at that age.

Frequent urination or elimination is not a good sign. Please consult a vet.

Ellie

My puppy is half border collie and also 3 months old. While she is still not potty trained she is able to hold it a little longer than your puppy. The only thing I have been doing differently is not giving her water before bed. Your doing basically everything you can do and eventually your puppy will slow down a little. Right now it is still young and doesn't have very good bladder control.

Ellie answered on 9/21/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer