1 year old dog aggressive.

My 1 year old pit bull/lab mix is aggressive with other dogs, few people, and stray cats. He is very well leash trained but freaks out when around other dogs. I have 2 cats and he is fine with the one but my other he hates. He is neutered. I also have another dog, she is old and he really stresses her out. He will sit while by another dog but just stares. I use a gentle leader on him which help a lot or he would drag me. How can I correct this aggressive behavior. He also attended a obedience class which did not help.

Asked by Member 289687 on Feb 12th 2008 Tagged dogs, somepeople, cats in Aggression

Best Answer

You have a situation going on here for which you need the help of a professional trainer.

An obedience class can only help so much since what you have here is a dog who has some type of issue causing his aggression. It can be territorial issues, fear aggression or any number of other issues causing this behavior.

In order to manage it effectively, you need to know two things:

1) What exactly is causing the behavior and

2) How to approach a training regime to help stop it now before it gets completely out of hand.

This isn't really something you can do on your own, so I'd recommend finding a behavioralist or trainer who specializes in aggression.

Try calling your local animal shelter or rescue group. They often have a lot of info on the community of local trainers in the area.

Once you find someone who "clicks" and the method make sense, your consistency can turn this problem around.

Jack answered on Feb 12th.

Answers

Haus R.I.P. my boy I miss you

You need a behaviorist not a trainer. Someone that has had alot of experience. It will be a lot of work on your part now that things are ingrain. Much easier to prevent then to have this happen!

Haus R.I.P. my boy I miss you answered on 2/12/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Beau

I guess my questions are - what do you mean by agressive and 'freaks out'? When I hear agressive - I'm thinking of fighting. Is this the issue? Is he this way with all other dogs? Was he socialized at all as a younger pup? If not, he may not know how to be a 'social dog' - in which case you can remedy this somewhat, but it won't be easy. When you say he stresses out your other dog - exactly how? By being dominant, wanting to play or fight? Do the people he has issues with have anything in common (wear hats, uniforms etc)? When you say that he would drag you if you didn't use a gentle leader - is this all the time or just when he sees other dogs, people etc? I don't expect answers - but if/when you seek assistance the more information you can give the professional, the better they can come prepared. I would definitely seek assistance from a professional, I did with my GSD and it helped us a great deal on his issues. It was well worth the money spent.

Beau answered on 2/14/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer