Bella

11 Week Old Lab Mix, Hates going outside, and is terrified of other dogs!

I have a question about my 11 week old lab mix puppy we adopted over a week and a half ago. She seems to be adjusting just fine to her new home, and seems to like us a lot. She likes to sit by us and cuddle with us and play with us. However, I do have a few concerns about her. 1. she hates going outside. somedays shes really good with walking on the leash but the past few days all she wants to do is sit down or lay down when we get outside. I have no idea what else to do to get her to walk with us. I try to entice her with treats, and clicker training, and even toys. But those don't even work for that long. I am concerned about this because it makes potty training her that much harder 2. She poops and pee's in her crate. I keep reading every where that they aren't supossed to poop or pee where she sleeps, but she does this almost every day. And she gets it on her somehow everyday. I am concerned that she came from a puppy mill and this is what she is used to 3. She is very scared of other dogs, new people, and any loud noises shes never heard before.

I am very concerned because I have been reading about puppys that came from puppy mills and she seems to fit quite a few of these characteristics. She came from a shelter in IL, but they got her from an animal control in Missouri. I am not sure where she came from before that. I want to make sure that she's going to get over this stage and become a happy well adjusted dog. We started her with puppy kindergarten and she did pretty good with that, besides being scared of the other dogs. Any help, or advice would be wonderful!

Asked by Bella on Dec 5th 2012 in Behavior & Training

Answers

Kairi

Frst off, bless you for adopting a rescue! I bet she's the happiest puppy on earth, just knowing you want her. But yes, if you got her through this method and your rescue got her from an animal control, it is very possible she might've had an abusive "home" and I use the term loosely; no mill is a suitable HOME for any creature.
Also, she could've been a stray with very limited interaction that went to animal control and was traumatized (it's not as bad as the mill, but it's hardly a step up in most cases). That happens too, and it can be worse depending on how long they stay. I encourage you to keep her interacting with other dogs. Also, how big is her crate? How much room they have affects how much they will have accidents on themselves. Our first dog never had a crate, but a puppy corral set up in the middle of our laundry room (very open) in our previous house. No matter how much or how little room he had, he'd ALWAYS find a way to go on himself. He came from a good breeder.

Kairi answered on 12/5/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

She sounds like she's transitioning, and she's still such a baby! You want her crate to be big enough for her to stand, turn, and access her water, but that's about it. As she gets bigger, you'll get larger crates. She has a really, really short attention span, so any type of stimulation (toys, love, etc.) is going to be effective in very short intervals. If it were me, I would just keep doing what you're doing. Keep working on the crate training, giving her lots to do, socializing her, slowly exposing her to outside stuff, keep praising her when she does all these great things you love. Getting a new home is difficult for everyone involved, and she's probably never been outside of a shelter before, so it's especially scary for her. With time, she'll know what to expect and feel more secure that you are her people and the world isn't such a scary place. It will get easier!