Nala

10 Month old Shiba won't do #2 outside...

I bought a Shiba Inu off a couple about 2 months ago. I quickly found out that the couple had apparently lied to me about the puppy being potty trained. I immediately started crate training, Nala (the puppy's name).

When I am not sleeping or working, I take her hour every 1-2 hours for 20-40 minutes each outing. Since I have gotten her, for whatever reason, she does NOT want/like to poo outside, for me. If I don't crate her when she doesn't poo she will do it inside the house w/in 30-60mins of being off the leash. But when she is crated she can hold it for 48hrs or more. I have let her loose in the house just to make sure she wasn't sick w/a bowel obstruction. She won't even poo on walk in the neighborhood.

When I was visiting my folks for Christmas, during those ~48hrs she did #2 probably 6 times but since she has been back home, for about 30hrs now she hasn't done #2.

So she's fine at other houses, just not mine. I hate having her crated all the time. Any help is very welcome.

Asked by Nala on Dec 27th 2011 Tagged potty, training, shiba, inu in Crate Training

Answers

Actually, they could have been telling the truth--sometimes a dog doesn't realize that being housetrained in one home means he should be housetrained in another home. Dogs don't generalize well. (Happens with tricks, too. A dog may gladly sit when in the living room, but when in the park act like he has no idea what "sit" means.)

Clean the soiled areas of your carpets with a odor and stain remover to remove the smell.
Keep a close eye on her, in fact until you feel you can trust her, whenever she's loose keep her on a leash to make sure she stays within your sight. Telltale signs include sniffing the ground.
No doubt others will have more to say.