Vet Blogger Recommends: Open Your Christmas Presents Early.

Every year I see the following scenario play out at least once. A well-meaning person gives a friend a box of chocolates, nicely done up...
Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn
Pinterest
Email

Every year I see the following scenario play out at least once. A well-meaning person gives a friend a box of chocolates, nicely done up in gift wrap. The recipient innocently puts it under the tree. The recipient’s dog, of course, knows precisely what is in the box — dogs can smell chocolate from half a block away. The dog bides her time until the owners leave the house … and the owners come home to a hyperactive dog and two dozen See’s candy wrappers.

Such a situation is more than just a waste of chocolate. Milk chocolate in large quantities can be toxic to dogs. Dark chocolate, baker’s chocolate, and the high-cocoa candy bars that currently are all the rage can be toxic in smaller quantities. Click the link to read all about it.

The solution is simple: Open your gifts early. Or at least keep your gifts safeguarded. If you intend to give chocolate to a dog owner, don’t wrap it.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Get Dogster in your inbox!

Stay informed! Get tips and exclusive deals.

Let Dogster answer all of your most baffling canine questions!

Starting at just
$14.95!

Related

Follow Us

Shopping Cart