Vet Blogger Recommends: Open Your Christmas Presents Early.

Every year I see the following scenario play out at least once. A well-meaning person gives a friend a box of chocolates, nicely done up...
Share on facebook
Facebook
Share on twitter
Twitter
Share on linkedin
LinkedIn
Share on pinterest
Pinterest
Share on email
Email

Every year I see the following scenario play out at least once. A well-meaning person gives a friend a box of chocolates, nicely done up in gift wrap. The recipient innocently puts it under the tree. The recipient’s dog, of course, knows precisely what is in the box — dogs can smell chocolate from half a block away. The dog bides her time until the owners leave the house … and the owners come home to a hyperactive dog and two dozen See’s candy wrappers.

Such a situation is more than just a waste of chocolate. Milk chocolate in large quantities can be toxic to dogs. Dark chocolate, baker’s chocolate, and the high-cocoa candy bars that currently are all the rage can be toxic in smaller quantities. Click the link to read all about it.

The solution is simple: Open your gifts early. Or at least keep your gifts safeguarded. If you intend to give chocolate to a dog owner, don’t wrap it.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.

Get Dogster in your inbox!

Stay informed! Get tips and exclusive deals.

Let Dogster answer all of your most baffling canine questions!

Starting at just
$14.95!

Related

Follow Us

Shopping Cart