The first time I saw the original Star Wars trilogy I was in elementary school. I was a bit of a misfit, and the ’70s space opera allowed me a place to escape to in my imagination whenever real life proved too difficult to deal with. I used to pretend I was maneuvering an X-wing fighter on the swing set, or that I’d been taken prisoner by Imperial forces whenever I was sent to the principal’s office. To this day, they remain my favorite movies, and my apartment living room is adorned with framed Star Wars posters.
I have mixed feelings about the upcoming brand new Star Wars movies about to go into production under the new Disney direction. I was appropriately apprehensive about the prequels and prefer to pretend they don’t exist. However, there may be hope for the new Star Wars yet: Inside reports claim that Peter Mayhew — the actor inside the Wookiee costume throughout the original trilogy — is confirmed to return to a galaxy far, far away.
But just in case the old Wookiee can’t make it to set, I’ve come up with eight dog understudies who could easily step in as doubles. As these adorable photos of a little boy and his Dachshund friend dressed up as Han Solo and Chewie demonstrate, dogs are the perfect stand-ins for the alien species native to the world Kashyyyk.
1. This dog, who is clearly a method actor (even if his belt has actually been digitally added)
2. This Pug is named Han Solo and has already worked on what it’s like to have a Wookiee sidekick, so if Harrison Ford doesn’t reprise his role at the helm of the Millennium Falcon, this dog is ready
3. This dog appears to have practiced getting out of the car to bang on the hyperdrive with a wrench (because it never works)
4. Ummm, maybe not …
5. This dog wouldn’t even need a hair and makeup department to get him suited up — this is his everyday look
6. Maybe not as Chewbacca, but this dog could star as Chewie’s cantankerous petite uncle
7. This dog is probably not big enough to be Chewbacca, but he could be an Ewok
8. Here’s a potential Chewbacca stunt double dodging laser blaster fire!
Are you planning on seeing the new Star Wars movies? Do you have a dog who could star as Chewbacca in the new Star Wars movies? Let’s see the photos below!
Check out these adorable stories on Dogster:
- We Love These Pictures of Dog-Pooping Photobombs
- Go Home, the Internet Has Been Won by These Chihuahua and Chicken BFFs
- Everybody’s Doing It: The Dog Breed Group Personality Quiz
About Liz Acosta: Dogster’s former Cuteness Correspondent, Liz still manages the site’s daily “Awws,” only now she also wrangles Dogster’s social media. That’s why she wants you to follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and — her personal favorite — Instagram. See ya there!