Falltime fleece blankets for your dog are easy to make, easy to clean and customizable. They make the perfect handmade gift for your doggie friends plus a wonderful donation item for your local shelter or rescue.
What you’ll need:
1. First, determine the size you want. Over your dog’s bed? For the couch? I take a blanket or towel I already have and fold it in half into the size that seems appropriate for my dog and space. Then measure. There is no right or wrong size, but keep in mind that bigger can always be folded.
2. Take your measurements, and add 10 inches to the size of your fabric to leave room for the fringe.
3. Purchase fabric (you’ll need two swatches) and then cut to size desired plus 10 inches each.
4. Line up both swatches of fleece so they are back to back, with the right sides facing out.
5. Put your cardstock piece in the corners and cut 5-inch squares out of each corner of both swatches.
6. Using the 5-inch cardboard as a guide, cut strips into the sides of your fabric 5 inches deep and about ½ to ¾ inches wide. (I use the width of my finger as a guide.) Cut the strips all the way around all four sides, making sure to cut into both layers. (This step helps prevent the fleece from bunching up in the corners and makes tying the fringe pieces easier.)
7. With your fringe lined up, tie the two sides together with a knot. Continue all the way around the blanket. Make sure all knots are tight and secure.
8. Wash your blanket, and enjoy!
Sam is a dog lover, writer, baker, crafter and Instagrammer. When she’s not writing, she’s decorating cookies at her blog SugaredAndIced.com or Instagramming her dogs @FrenchHuggs_ and @Quinnstadoodle.
Read about more DIY projects for your dog on Dogster.com:
Editor’s note: This article appeared in Dogster magazine. Have you seen the new Dogster print magazine in stores? Or in the waiting room of your vet’s office? Subscribe now to get Dogster magazine delivered straight to you!