We all know that cleaning up after our dog plays an important part in being a responsible dog owner, but did you know some poop bags are kind to the environment? Traditional plastic bags are made from polyethylene, which can take hundreds of years to break down in a landfill. Biodegradable bags, on the other hand, are made from materials that break down naturally in a compost pile or in a landfill.
When choosing the best biodegradable dog poop bag, look for the following criteria:
- Material: Eco-friendly poop bags are typically made from plant-based materials such as starch, corn and vegetable oils. These types of materials break down over time. Some bags also keep materials out of the landfill by using post-consumer recycled plastics.
- Durability: While these bags are designed to break down over time, you still want them strong and thick enough to not tear or leak while you are using them, especially if your dog has poop problems.
- Compostability: If you plan to compost yourself, look for certified compostable bags, which means they fully break down in a compost environment.
Our top picks for best biodegradable poop bags
- The Original Poop Bags USDA Certified Biobased Rolls are made of 30% recycled materials with a recycled cardboard core. They’re thick and leak-proof for easy handling of your dog’s waste. $36.99/orange-scented countdown rolls (960 poop bags); poopbags.com
- MetroPaws Poopy Packs XL Dog Waste Bags are designed for large messes. These extra-large bags come in trendy colors and patterns. Durable and degradable the packaging is made from 100% recycled content. Comes in pink, seafoam, orange or black. $16.99/200 XL bags; metropaws.com
- Earth Rated Dog Poop Bags are made from 65% certified post-consumer recycled plastic, which gives a second life to over 5 million pounds of landfill-bound plastic every year. Comes in unscented or lavender scented. $13.99/270 bags; earthrated.com
Ultimately, choosing biodegradable poop bags makes a small but impactful choice to protect the planet. The next time you’re stocking up on supplies, make the switch. Your dog, and the earth, will thank you!
Want to dig through more poop articles? Check out: