GO!

How do I teach my two dogs to not kill each other?

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Dingo

I'm a Happpy- Dog!!!

Barked: Sat May 30, '09 5:36pm PST 
How do I train two dogs, one I have had for about one and a half years, and the other I am fostering. The foster is 4 years old, female Chow mix. Mine is 2 1/2 years old, male Australian Cattle Dog mix (little chow in him too I think).
I don't have any help at all so I need to find a way to do this that only takes one person.
My dog is probably either resource guarding or something like that, or he thinks he is the Alpha even though he doesn't show any other signs of it that I am aware of. He waits for me to go through the door first and things like that. I don't know if that matters or not. He is also afraid of the other dog for the most part. If she accidentally gets past someone and comes into the laundry room, she will attack the bottom of the door trying to get to my dog on the other side. My dog will not go near the door but runs to the window where he can see the backyard where she usually is. (barking and carrying on...) The foster dog acts like she wants to kill by the biting the door and snarling and drooling) she can't be stopped once she gets in there! So I think she is the aggressive one but I don't know if she is doing it out of jealousy (she has to stay outside) or partially fear since when I brought her here she had recently had two surgeries one for her being spayed and one that looked to me like a dog bite! and she was in the pound for a while and went straight to my dogs "territory". I have never seen my dog show any signs of aggression, but he has not been around many other dogs. Anyway, it is summer here, north of Phoenix, AZ and I just can't leave her outside in this heat.
I just don't know where to start! I have gotten a couple responses and ideas but they so far would require me to have help.

Where do I start and which one do I start with?? My dog also goes crazy barking and yelping at the window if I am outside with her. That in turn distracts her and gets her going!!
HELP
[notify]
Ming

LETS PLAY.

Barked: Sat May 30, '09 7:07pm PST 
Man, I really wish I had some good advice for you.
But I just wanted to say that Dingo looks like grown up Ming.
We always call her Dingo... thats so funny.
You have a very cute dog.
[notify]
Cracker

Dog About- Rosedale

Barked: Sat May 30, '09 7:09pm PST 
Right now you have to keep the dogs separated at all times. This is a serious issue.
Who are you fostering for? Let them know immediately that the foster is showing aggression towards your dog. Your main job is YOUR dog's health and welfare (including mental health) and it may be that this dog is NOT the one you should be fostering in your home. It will do no good for your foster dog, nor your own, for them to have constant stress and aggression towards one another.

That may not be what you wanted to hear. Fostering is a great thing, but you don't have help in your home and are dealing with a potentially volatile situation.

If the rescue insists you keep her (which they shouldn't) maybe they can send someone who has behaviour experience to show you how to acclimatize the dogs to each other. But really, your best bet IN MY OPINION is to return the dog so they can find a more suitable foster home and see if they have another, less aggressive dog for you to take.

Bam-Bam, CGC

Lil' Rubble

Barked: Sat May 30, '09 8:14pm PST 
I agree with Cracker. I adopted an adult female mastiff from a breeder once. Was told she had bitch aggression, but no problems with male dogs. She ultimately relentlessly pursued Bam-Bam, and he was terrified of her. He would hide in my laundry room and push himself as hard into the door as possible, as though he was trying to disappear. I sent her back within 48 hours. Bam-Bam and his welfare is my priority. I have no doubt in my mind that the other dog was the way she was because she was in a high stress environment, fighting with her sister, for so long. She didn't know how to turn that switch OFF, and if I kept her around my boy long enough, his switch would go ON, and I absolutely refused to jeopardize all the work, training, and socializing I put into him just to keep a few people from being mad at me. Your priority is your dog, and this foster can truly traumatize and jeopardize what you put into your dog. There are better foster homes for her... Folks with experience with aggressive dogs, and folks that have no dogs.
[notify]
Pippin CGC

King- Dingleberry!

Barked: Sat May 30, '09 8:27pm PST 
I agree with Bam...Or find a good behaviorist!way to go
[notify]
Dingo

I'm a Happpy- Dog!!!

Barked: Sat May 30, '09 8:31pm PST 
Ming, thank you. I always thought he was a good looking dog too, and yours does look like him. They are both great looking!blue dog

Cracker, when I contacted the rescue that I am fostering for they said I could bring her back (to the local pound) but they would not put her back up for adoption so she would be euthanized right away. They didn't say the "right away" part but you get the point. They also sent a "dog trainer" to help me with the problem but all he did was choke both dogs with a choker collar and then explained why he did what he did them left. Granted it did work but I can't in my right mind do that to them and still sleep at night. There was a little more to it than that but just like timing and things like that. Besides that there would have to be two people there all the time and there is only one of me.
[notify]
Lady

I need a loving- family to call- my own!!

Barked: Sat May 30, '09 8:38pm PST 
I wish I could afford a good behaviorist for my dog as well. I spend a lot of time with my dog and no time with the foster. I think it is bad for both dogs to have her here but is it better than death?? Sometimes I wonder. I think it is really bad for her to be outside by herself and not have hardly any attention at all, she is soo lonely! It really is sad and I think maybe it would be best if she was put down; I mean if the only alternative is being lonely or being choked out. It is such a hard decision. My dog does come first which is why I spend all my time with him right now. But he still cannot even go into his own backyard and play with his toys and he misses that a lot. This is me still but this is the Chow mix I am fostering.
[notify]
Dingo

I'm a Happpy- Dog!!!

Barked: Sat May 30, '09 8:47pm PST 
If I could just find another foster home for her! That would solve everything. I think that the rescue that I am fostering for is pretty much trying to rescue every single dog that the pound puts on the E list so they have their hands full just trying to find fosters for all the dogs that just keep coming and coming and coming. The rescue also had another trainer call me and she said that basically Chows could not get along with other dogs/animals unless they grew up with them but to try to crate train her that could possibly work if anything will.
Does anyone know of anybody that would be able to foster her that lives in or around Phoenix or New River?? Anywhere for that matter??
[notify]
Brutus

Brutus the- Buddhist-the Zen- of Dog

Barked: Sat May 30, '09 9:04pm PST 
Have you posted on the Adoptions thread??? Maybe Tiller and Duncan can help. She is beautiful and needs a chance to find a good furever home as the only dog. Keep trying to find a good foster, I am sure the dogsters here can help spread the word!
[notify]
Brutus

Brutus the- Buddhist-the Zen- of Dog

Barked: Sat May 30, '09 9:13pm PST 
I just posted a link to this thread over at the Adoptions Forum. But please post over there with your problem.
Best of Luck hug
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3