dog parks

Sienna, NPC,- CGC

Adopt a homeless- dog

Barked: Fri Aug 20, '10 7:28pm PST 
I was looking at some pit bull rescue organizations to foster dogs or maybe even adopt at some point. Just exploring to keep my mind off my pain for awhile.

Anyhow, one rescue organization stipulates that the dogs must not go to dog parks. I understand their reasoning but can they really dictate this? I mean, I think it is wise to wait until you really know the dog to let them off leash and trust them with other dogs. I also get that bully breeds are blamed. But it just seems sad to let that push bullies out of parks. Sienna has done so much to prove to people that pit bulls are great dogs.
McKayla

DING! Fries are- ready!!!

Barked: Thu Aug 26, '10 1:55pm PST 
Sienna-I understand your frustration, but unfortunately, it is a reality for those of us with bully breeds. Blame it on the people who have had a hand in ruining their image. Just like most things, it takes a few to ruin it for the rest of us.

Most of the dog parks around me ban bully breeds, or have to have proof of passing a temperament exam (at the owners expense) within the past couple of months.

Have you thought about doggie daycare a few times a week, versus going to a dog park? Doggie day cares are MUCH safer than a dog park. Dog parks, IMO, are full of unknowns. It is a petrie dish of germs, illnesses, unprovoked attacks, ignorant owners, etc. that you place your dog in harms way of. Again, that is just my opinion, and I would never (no matter what breed) allow my dog to go to a dog park. I worked in my vet's office for quite some time, and I cannot begin to count the number of dogs that came in with illness and injuries (superficial and major injuries) due to dog park exposure. That turned me off right away if I hadn't already been opposed to dog parks.

As long as you find the right doggie daycare, you can count on qualified people watching over your dog and the others. Most daycares REQUIRE proof of vaccinations and Bordatella shots every 6 months. Others require fecal tests every 6 months. You won't find that in a lot of dog parks. It is hard to find doggie daycares that take bully breeds, but there are MANY out there. I am grateful that I have at least 2 almost on top of each other that welcome bully breeds with open arms. Of course, scuffles will happen anywhere...they are dogs. But, you have a better chance of something NOT happening at a doggie daycare than at a dog park where the monitoring is done by the owners (most who are on cell phones).

Sometimes we have to forget about the dog parks and go for something safer. But, that is just me. Please do not take offense to this. Just trying to offer suggestions and voice my thoughts. smile
Aria, CGC

Happy Pittie- Girl

Barked: Thu Aug 26, '10 7:57pm PST 
We don't do dog parks either. We play really rough at times and if we played like that with some other dogs we might unintentionally hurt them. Most information I have read regarding bully breeds that was written by informed bully breed people say to stay away from the dog parks. It's always the pit bulls that get blamed if things get out of hand. My area has a group of people with dogs that get together just to walk our dogs which gives them the socialization they need in a safer situation. I care too much about my dogs to put them in any situation that might get them taken away from me.

Sienna, NPC,- CGC

Adopt a homeless- dog

Barked: Tue Aug 31, '10 11:39pm PST 
I actually found a group that does a "Bully Roundup", which is a group of bully breed dogs and others that have been prescreened to get together in a fenced-in area to romp and play. I think it is an awesome alternative.

Sadly we will not be able to get a pitbull right now. I still feel Sienna does fine at off-leash parks but other dogs might not.
♥- DarlaMae - ♥

I Am- Iron Nose- !

Barked: Fri Sep 3, '10 1:15pm PST 
The RoundUP sounds like alot of Fun Sienna!way to go I agree many Dog parks have things I would worry about. I think the Rescue groups also have worries about liability as they technically would be responsible if there was an "iisue". We don't have any close by here. Darla ADORES All dogs & would love being with them. She plays very much herding style with chase & so forth.blue dog Hoping you can get together with your new furiends Sienna.hug
In Loving- Memory of- Frodo 4/

Are you going to- eat all of that?

Barked: Mon Oct 18, '10 9:35am PST 
As messed up as the regulations are, they unfortunately are appropriate or so I think. There is no such ban here in SF and we are fortunate that the people who go dog park we used to go to are responsible. Of course, there are always exceptions such as the unneutered Akita and Husky that always start fights. And they were essentially run out of the park due to general consensus.

However, I can think of several occasions in other parks wherein an unsuspecting new Bully breed owner has let their snuggle buddy run in a pack and a fight ensues. The owner(s) stand in shock not knowing what to do.

And if you recall, three years ago, Pooh was jumped by another dog at the park and all he did was defend himself and he and Pippi BOTH were blamed. We were dragged through court and they are now both Vicious and Dangerous dogs because they are pit bulls. Now, had this occurred at our regular park, people would have stepped up for us. It didn't and we were surrounded by bunch of a-holes who didn't see a thing but all started in on the Wicked, Evil Pit bulls.

It's better to be safe than sorry.
McKayla

DING! Fries are- ready!!!

Barked: Tue Oct 19, '10 11:25am PST 
Another thing to consider are "meetups". If you are lucky, there may be a local meetup near you that you can get together with others and walk, or even play. You will get to know the SAME people who have the same agenda as you do.