Harry Potter Nerds?!

(Page 3 of 8: Viewing entries 21 to 30)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  
Meridian

Proud to be a- kitchen wolf!!!

Barked: Tue Feb 13, '07 4:21pm PST 
I actually don't like total fantasy stuff at all, but it's the lack of any sort of bigger messages besides good vs. evil that doesn't appeal to me in the Harry Potter series. Take away the magic and turn Quiddich (sp?) back into football and you've basically got a story about kids at a boarding school with nothing more than nerds vs. jocks , weak vs. strong, and the overcoming of adversity for a poor orphan kid driving the plot. That's my take, anyway. Granted I haven't read more than the first book, nor been able to stay awake long enough to really say I've seen more than the first one and three-quarters movies. My husband assures me the series starts getting really good later, but I just haven't been interested in devoting the time.
Gio

CD RE (CKC)- RXMCL (CARO) FM- CGN SJATD

Barked: Tue Feb 13, '07 4:36pm PST 
Well the movies ... they aren't all that good in my opinion. Sure, I have watched them and they were fun, but in the "hey I remember reading that part!" kinda way. The movies really do no justice to the books, but do they ever, really?

The books do get better after the first 2, but the overall theme stays the same ... it is the good versus evil, innocence versus guilty, love versus hate thing. The theme itself is pretty cut and dry. And JKR was modelling the series after the older boarding school stories, so the fact that there is a strong parallel there isn't really surprising.

After book 2, the series strays from the "start a story at the beginning of the book and it is solved in the second to last chapter" thing, and goes more into the continuation between books thing. (Sorry for my lack of terminology ... I've never gone into English study past English 110 in university). There are portions of one book that are not solved or understood until one or two books later.
Meridian

Proud to be a- kitchen wolf!!!

Barked: Tue Feb 13, '07 4:53pm PST 
Boy did my last post sound uppity and snobby! Totally not my intention. I really should give the books more of a chance before making statements like that. Maybe I'll try again. You said the EXACT same thing my husband did about the books getting better and changing gears writing-style wise. 'Till then I'll let you guys talk HP and keep my nose out of it!

Gio

Barked: Tue Feb 13, '07 5:11pm PST 
BOL I think we are both at fault there, Meridian ... I didn't intend my last post to sound as if I thought you were being snobby big grin It's so refreshing to actually have a conversation (though we disagree) and not worry about the other party getting offended or upset, I wasn't even taking that into consideration big grin

Honestly, I didn't think you were being snobby and I certainly didn't intend to get defensive. Must be the high school debater coming out in me BOL (Yes, I am a debate nerd too red face)
Snowy

A Doggie Scholar

Barked: Wed Feb 14, '07 7:58am PST 
I'm in denial and I refuse to believe that Dumbledore is dead.. he's supposed to be the most powerful wizard right? It just dosen't seem right that he died so easily.

I can think of two scenarios.. one was that it was planned so Snape could be a perfect double agent.... two is that Dumbledore "foresaw" that Snape would betray him so he prepared it. Maybe he made Horcruxes for himself? I dunno.

What remains to be sure is that.. Dumbledore never told Harry about his plans.. and I'm HOPING that he did so because he wanted to completely fool the bad wizards. The way Harry reacted when he saw Dumbledore die had to be genuine enough for everyone to see.

Then again, Dumbledore promised Harry that he'll never keep anythign away form him. I'm hoping to go back to the book and look for clues when Dumbledore warns harry that he might be "away" for a while or soemthing like that...

but.. you know.. i'm just hoping. I'm in denial. He was my fav character... how can he die!???!!!!
Mattie

Say no to B.O.!

Barked: Wed Feb 14, '07 6:00pm PST 
Count me in as a HP fan- I've read them all 4 or 5 times. I started out reading the first one to my son when he was younger. As he has gotten older, we took turns reading the new ones to each other so we were always in the same spot in the book. That way no blabbing what happens next to each other, lol. Then we reread them on our own. I almost don't want the last one to come out, cause then it will all be over cry.
Snowy

A Doggie Scholar

Barked: Wed Feb 14, '07 6:53pm PST 
July something is the big day I think....
Gio

Barked: Wed Feb 14, '07 7:15pm PST 
July SOMETHING!?

Snowy ... I'm disappointed ... July SOMETHING?!

Sheesh ... July 21 is the big day! party
Snowy

A Doggie Scholar

Barked: Thu Feb 15, '07 12:20pm PST 
BOL.. sorry sorry...
my tail is between my legs now... BOL
Brody

The best things- come in little- packages

Barked: Thu Feb 15, '07 12:49pm PST 
I've never read any of the Harry Potter books! We actually had to read portions of them for one of my writing classes. It was written really well. Let me rephrase that - it was written well for the masses. Everyone has different opinions on what makes a particular piece of writing "good," but the HP books seemed to flow well, and the author piqued enough interest in the right spots to keep readers coming back for more. She definitely knows how to make money with her writing. way to go

I plan on reading them someday, but now that there are so many, I don't know if I can. Hahaha.

Speaking of stripping down the details to the plot - isn't every book this way? Are there any new plots? New ideas? Seems like Shakespeare basically covered everything.

One of my majors was professional writing, which is writing for the masses. One of our textbooks pretty much laid out the plot and characters in a generic way and every movie I've ever seen/book I've ever read could fit within this generic plot line. I used to live for books and movies - and I would always make sure to see every movie that is nominated for an Oscar (okay, I still do that, but now I wait till video), but its hard to fall in love with a movie now that I know the bones to all of them are the same.

Little Miss Sunshine is pretty good though wink
  (Page 3 of 8: Viewing entries 21 to 30)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8