Harry Potter Nerds?!

(Page 2 of 8: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  
Risa- W-FDM/MF RE- RL1 CA CGC

Awesome Dog

Barked: Tue Feb 13, '07 10:44am PST 
Good thoughts!! And I pretty much agree with everything you said. smile

I have a feeling Dumbledore left a lot of clues behind for Harry to help him find the Horcruxes too. I mean, we already know Dumbledore stored his memories in the Penseive and Harry knows about it AND how to obtain them. So there are ways for him to find out more information even in Dumbledore's abscense.

It will certainly be interesting to see how things play out. I think I may need to run over to the local library and get my name on the waiting list for book 7 now. wink
Fudge

How can I be- this cute?

Barked: Tue Feb 13, '07 10:52am PST 
That's what I believe too, Gio! I actually read this theory on a LiveJournal (blog) a bit after the book came out, and I think it makes a lot of sense. Especially since I believe that Snape is good (or at least, he's on the good side).

Actually, here it is! It's long. smile
Gio

CD RE (CKC)- RXMCL (CARO) FM- CGN SJATD

Barked: Tue Feb 13, '07 10:55am PST 
Okay funny side note about the pensieve ... Have you noticed that Harry has never left the pensieve on his own? He has always been pulled out either by Dumby or Snape! I have this hilarious mental image of him jumping in there to look for clues and then getting stuck because he has no idea how to get back out! BOL

As for the clues ... I totally agree ... it took Dumby and Harry a whole book to destroy 2 horcruxes! There are 3 to destroy in this book ... one of which is alive (assuming Nagini is one) ... and then to kill Voldy himself! I'm thinking that RAB destroyed more than just the locket. There will probably be a note stashed somewhere saying "Oh by the way ... I destroyed the cup already. Now you just need to kill the snake, and figure out what thing of Gryffindor is a horcrux."

Gio

Barked: Tue Feb 13, '07 10:56am PST 
BOL That's really funny! I don't even hang around on blogs or other HP chat sites ... Guess it is a pretty popular theory big grin
Meridian

Proud to be a- kitchen wolf!!!

Barked: Tue Feb 13, '07 2:07pm PST 
Hey all,

I always end up pissing off my husband (a HP fan) when I say this, so I wanted to preface by saying that I don't necessarily not like the HP books, I just wasn't overly impressed. Call me weird.

A series of books I LOVE and that shares (quite a few) similarities with the HP books, is the "His Dark Materials" trilogy by Philip Pullman. Anyone ever read these books? How would you compare them? I always end up sounding like I'm trashing JK Rowling and Harry Potter fans when I start talking about this, so I'm gonna hold my tongue.

Just wanted to say to the HP fans, that you should definitely check out the HDM trilogy. If you like HP, you should LOVE these!
Gio

Barked: Tue Feb 13, '07 2:56pm PST 
Thanks Meridian! I'm not going to take offense. HP isn't for everyone, some people can just pick it right apart, be it on writing style or plot design, or whatever. I know I enjoy the series, and could really care less of anyone else likes it laugh out loud

After book 7 comes out, I am going to need to separate myself from HP and move on ... so will definately be looking for a new series to follow big grin I can't sleep at night if I don't read for at least 30 minutes, and I tend to not re-visit books once there is a solid conclusion (I can re-read and re-read up until that final installment, but once the final book is out, I won't go back and read the series again ... no idea why, I just don't BOL). So yeah, I'll look into that series once I'm done with HP.

The reason I enjoy HP is because she has developed a strong background to her characters that is realistic. Take away the wizards and spells and magical creatures, and you could totally picture these characters living in every day real world. The kids remind me of my friends in elementary school, the I can draw parallels between the teachers and other people I know. I don't really enjoy the fantasy-type books that take place solely in an imaginary world where everything is made-up in the mind of the author and anything goes. Not to say that books like that have no merit, they just aren't for me. So when I started on the HP books, I was thrilled! Finally a book with names I can pronounce! That is generally how I pick out books ... if I can read the back cover and not have to pause and sound out one of the character or place names ... it passes the first test and I continue reading big grin BOL

The only grievance I have towards HP is that the first 2 (maybe 3, but mostly 2) books were very childish. JKR was able to satisfactorally lay out the plot as she needed, but the writing style was very childish and unintelligent. They were a fun read, but nothing that really got my heart pumping, if that makes sense. Things really started shaping up in book 4 where her style seemed to change to a more mature audience. It was almost as if her style was growing up with the original readers of the series. While books 1 and 2 (maybe 3) were written for pre-teens, books 4 - 6 would be more at home in the "young adult" section. Still not literary genius, but by that time I was so caught up in the actual story that the lack of obvious flare in writing didn't matter so much. They are an easy read, nice flow and easy to follow. You won't find yourself getting lost anywhere. But it is the attention to detail and the very intricate backstory that is what caught my attention and held it. In reading the "later" books, you can almost feel the hidden parts of the story just lurking, waiting to come into play.

The way she writes just naturally leads to the development of theories. She is very predictable ... I can easily pick out items or situations that will for sure come into play in book 7 ... but at the same time, you can never guess HOW she is going to weave it all together. For instance, I know we will see more of the archway, the two way mirror, the locked room in the Ministry of Magic, the debt owed to Harry by Wormtail, the motorcycle, etc ... but how those will all come together in the end or what they will mean ... no idea.

But yeah ... all that said, I can totally understand how HP isn't for everyone. Just like I have never been interested enough to watch Star Wars / Star Trek etc. (That was probably insulting enough for some people, just admitting that I don't know the difference between the two and have no desire to ever find out BOL). And honestly, it is probably useless to even try to debate the issue of how "good" HP is. For someone that does not enjoy the series, it would be impossible for them to appreciate it, or even to recognize the reasons that other people appreciate it. That isn't a flaw on their part, it's just personal opinion. I would never succeed in convincing an adamant non-fan of the finer points of HP anymore than that non-fan could ever convince me that I am incorrect in enjoying what I do! BOL
Meridian

Proud to be a- kitchen wolf!!!

Barked: Tue Feb 13, '07 3:13pm PST 
I hear ya Gio! I actually think the problem I have with the HP books is exactly the reason you stated for liking them.

Definitely check out the His Dark Materials trilogy when you've got the chance -- I bet you'll really like them.
Gio

Barked: Tue Feb 13, '07 3:23pm PST 
The "reality" thing?

Yeah I seem to be in a minority for that one. Most fantasy fans are all about the totally out of this world, nothing as it seems, type books. I don't know why, but I've never really been able to get into any of those books. Maybe I have just never found a series I like ... no idea.

But I will for sure check out your trilogy once HP is over with. Thanks for the suggestion big grin
Jasmine

Such a Happy- Girl

Barked: Tue Feb 13, '07 3:52pm PST 
Me too! wave

My favorites are PoA and OotP. I've actually only read book 6 once! red face

I'm so reluctant to read the seventh. How long have I been waiting? And will it all be over in a day? Will there be a moment of stunned silence around the world as all HP readers finish the book, followed by a scrambling of fans reaching for their phones, laptops, etc. to talk with all their friends about it??

Whew! But I can't wait. way to go
Gio

Barked: Tue Feb 13, '07 3:56pm PST 
BOL Jasmine!

Did you hear that the plans are in the works in the UK to set up a telephone hotline to help kids deal with the deaths in book 7?? I guess some kids grew up with these books ... and with the announcement that there are at least 2 deaths in book 7, there are bound to be some mourning and grieving youngsters out there! I was stunned ... but I guess it makes sense ... in a twisted kinda way BOL
  (Page 2 of 8: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8