GO!

Circling constantly

Share advice for keeping your aging dog happy and healthy

Zoe

Zoe- Wanna Dig?

Barked: Tue Jun 17, '14 10:06am PST 
Hi - writing on behalf of my 15 yr Zoey- She has started circling non stop- We went to the vet and found out her kidney levels were slightly elevated - -she still has bladder issues which I don't mind. _ meal times are also a disaster- grinding up food and finding something she likes- It's devastating too see her this way- my vet seems to offer little help regarding the circling - I'm considering a second opinion despite we've used this vet for 15 years- any advice is greatly appreciated on how to make her final years - comfortable- thank you
[notify]
Talker

Talk of the- Town!

Barked: Sat Jun 21, '14 3:45am PST 
How is she doing. I just saw your post because I haven't been able to get into the forums.
The circling is probably a form of anxiety considering that she is not feeling good. Try keeping her on a leash with you when you're home. When she starts to circle, do your best to redirect her by giving her a good smelly treat. Place the treat under her nose and redirect her. It's like snapping her out of the habit.

Do you find that she circles at certain times? When she's in the house? Outside? Are you stil taking her out for walks?

Good luck.
[notify]
Talker

Talk of the- Town!

Barked: Sat Jun 21, '14 1:39pm PST 
my post of last night disappeared. let me see if this one will stay.
[notify]

Duchess- 7/21/03-1/14- /12 Love U

Sleeping Beauty- needs her beauty- sleep!

Barked: Sun Jun 22, '14 5:00pm PST 
Duchess did the same thing but her situation was different because she also had a brain tumor. She had a few seizures as well. 2 years after we sent her to the Bridge (after being assured from our vet that there was nothing else that could be done), I came across the below article on Dogster and now I wonder if we gave up on her too soon. Either way my heart is broken but I will never forgive myself if that is the case.

http://www.dogster.com/lifestyle/dog-health-idiopathic-veti bular-disease-patia-dizzy

I would definitely get a second opinion and I would ask about the above article if you feel that it applies to you.

Edited by author Sun Jun 22, '14 5:19pm PST

[notify]
Beasley

I'm the Bee's- Knees!

Barked: Tue Jun 24, '14 6:31pm PST 
Gosh, my response to this post disappeared as well.

shrug