GO!

Soup Bone

This is the place to share your best homemade dog food and treat recipes with each other! Remember to use caution if your pet has allergies and to make any diet changes gradually so that your dog's stomach can adjust to the new foods you are introducing.

Squeeky

I am just- toooooo cute !!!

Barked: Mon Mar 3, '14 4:52pm PST 
I have a good sized frozen beef soup bone that was never cooked. I was wondering if it would be ok to give to my dog to chew on to help the tartar on her teeth.
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Mon Mar 3, '14 11:08pm PST 
The soup bones sold around here are bare naked cut beef leg bone with some marrow inside. These are widely considered to be much harder than dog teeth and even scraping teeth on them is supposed to damage teeth. Unless your bone has so much meat on it the bone is invisible except at the cut ends and your dog isn't going to gnaw the bone most here would not use it. I will give my dog beef tail and rib bones and probably would give neck bone but never leg bones.
[notify]
Noah

Herpaderp-apotam- us

Barked: Wed Mar 5, '14 4:59pm PST 
I agree with Maxwell. I used to give Noah soup bones before I knew any better and they held his interest for as long as it would take him to lick the marrow out. Rib bones and neck bones he will gnaw on until they're practically gone.
[notify]

Squeeky

I am just- toooooo cute !!!

Barked: Thu Mar 6, '14 7:24am PST 
Thank you so much for the information. I do not think I will be giving the bone to her.
[notify]
Max

Make room for- the bus!

Barked: Fri Mar 7, '14 7:48am PST 
As to larger bones, it's been my experience that the dog loves to dig out the marrow inside the bone. So the larger the marrow channel the better smile
[notify]
Benny

Where did I bury- that bone- again...

Barked: Fri Mar 7, '14 9:47am PST 
Totally agree with the previous posters. I was also under the impression that my dog would love a soup bone but another user Mulder told me that load bearing bones are more likely to break teeth. So I stick to rib bones for Benny way to go
[notify]